Author Topic: V2 Matchless  (Read 6718 times)

Offline barrumundi

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
V2 Matchless
« on: April 09, 2018, 05:39:45 AM »
Hi, Does anyone know where I can source the roller type cam follower arms for a V2 Matchless

Thanks
Doug

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: V2 Matchless
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »
Can you explain a little more? Do want to source them because they are missing or worn out? Lubrication on thé V2 was rather basic and the cam followers seize up and wear out rather quickly. Rebuilding them isn’t that hard.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »
If I recall, Frank Westworth the editor of Real Classic magazine had a broken one of his Matchie and it was a repeated theme that he couldn't find a replacement anywhere.
He had it welded in the end but they're apparently unobtanium, though you may be luckier than him.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »
It's nice the faith and hope  from overseas that the UK is knee deep in off the shelf  parts for older bikes. If only it was any more.  In 50+ years of playing around with Matchless I can't recall seeing a V2 in the flesh.

That's a reflective comment not sarcasm or  whatever anyone wants to read into it.

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 10:39:55 PM »
Hi Doug,
What diameter and width are the rollers?
You can buy a rebuild kit for Indian engine followers
Speedway Services should have JAP rollers
A lot of modern car engines have reverted to using roller followers
Last option is have some made

John

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 01:25:42 AM »
Hi mini-me,
There are possibly more surviving V series Matchless out here than in the UK. I've known of several V2. I owned a later V3 myself some thirty years ago and an example of the original Model V did surface locally but disappeared again after the owner received a nasty head injury. They all suffer from the same problem of needing an owner with a decent machine shop to sort them out. Like all Matchless of the period they're under engineered and with poor lubrication. Their engines don't wear well.
Mostly we make our own bits as we are well used to non-existent after sale service from English firms. Of course two world wars and the Great Depression didn't help. Doug just has to find the right local firm but as he signs himself 'barrramundi' I don't think he lives in the engineering south. He might just have to search a little harder.
I look forward to his comments on the roller bearing rocker gear.
As I said earlier and Chater Lea 25 has reinforced, refurbishing roller bearing cam followers is not that hard.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »
Yes I have long noticed that down under has a store of bikes not often seen here. I suppose not having to battle with rust helped.

Plus the amount of bikes that went into the melting pots in 1939/40 or the great MOT  clearance drive of the 1960s got rid of 1000s of bikes that these days would be worth a bomb.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 01:01:55 AM »
All very true,.....but if the lifters are of the JAP type,then every motor had similar dimensions,because the system was used in a SV motor as well.......so the arms are all about the same effective length.....as mentioned you can buy a complete set of newmade Indian Chief roller lifters,which would be roughly the same dimensions for about $250 US........you can also get a set of new rollers to suit Harleys,with needle bearings ,for around $40 US....Nothing on old bikes is that difficult......I once had a 4cyl Henderson crank profile cut from plate and machined ,without having any dimensions save what could be worked out from measuring the crankcase ,and drawings in old books.......the high values of restored bikes makes this possible.......the days of buying three more bikes for spares are long gone.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 03:17:50 AM »
And we have yet to hear from 'barramundi'. We haven't had an answer to the original question yet. Do you think we've scared him off? The poor bloke probably wonders what sort of nutters has he stirred up.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 04:34:21 AM »
Gone fishin?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »
Yes, but it's a much better class of nutters here than elsewhere.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 03:27:21 PM »
IIRC the previously-mentioned Westworth problem bike was OHV, whereas Indians are most definitely and obstinately SV. His "rocker" had broken/snapped which given the design of the Indian type would be all but impossible on an Indian.
It would help if Barramundi had been more specific.

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 06:05:27 PM »
Hi Rex,
Initial request from barrumundi
Hi, Does anyone know where I can source the roller type cam follower arms for a V2 Matchless

Which is why I mentioned Indian cam followers

John

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 01:20:27 AM »
He definitely specified cam followers.......

Offline barrumundi

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
G/Day Blokes, Guess I am the one that's called "He" and worse luck, "He" hasn't gone fishing.

I have 10 machines in the stable which all take toll on time available so I haven't did anything since my last communication .

I have however decided that when time allows, I will fabricate a pair of Roller type followers.

Thanks for all those whom offered advise and input

Doug
West Aussie