Author Topic: Interceptor 750 First Start in 35 years  (Read 5314 times)

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Interceptor 750 First Start in 35 years
« on: May 11, 2018, 01:21:45 AM »
I getting ready to start my 1970 Interceptor. I changed the oil and oil filter... I've cleaned the carbs and tank. I have a new battery. Any other tips before starting?

I'm not going to ride...I just want to make sure the engine is ok before spending any money on the project.

The primary cover is off right now.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:23:46 AM by jfcroni »

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Interceptor 750 First Start in 35 years
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 01:51:40 AM »
Make sure you have a good spark.

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
I have a spark. Will be giving it a shot today. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on getting oil in the lines prior to starting. It has the oil cooler...was thinking about trying to pump some oil through the lines first... if possible.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:47:33 PM »
Leave the plugs out and turn it over for a while to get the oil going before trying to start.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
Velo owners tend to advocate "taking the bike for a walk". Plug(s) out, first gear and push it around till the oil is flowing nicely.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 03:46:11 PM »
I did cycle the engine about 30 kicks with the plugs out first. I primed the cylinders with gas - replaced the plugs... and added gas to the newly rebuilt carbs. I attached a gas feed system since the tank isn't ready yet. Four kicks and it started. I ran for 20 seconds or so and shut off to have a look around. I pulled two valve covers and restarted the bike. Oil is pushing up to the tappets and the push rods are getting a good oiling too. All is good... so I'll continue the restoration project knowing the engine is sound.

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 03:53:49 PM »
Good man, I did similar with my T90 last year after a long period of inactivity. No point in bashing on with the cosmetics and finding the engine's buggered.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 10:38:39 PM »
Good work.

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 10:55:20 PM »
Finished the project and went for a 20 mile ride today. FUN!

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 09:34:50 AM »
Looks nice. I quite fancy a big Enfield twin...one day... ;)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
When I worked at Brisk Sales the last couple of British bikes we ever sold were Velo Thruxtons and 750 TT Interceptors.No one would touch them ,cause everyone knew the British industry was dying.....Imagine selling a Thruxton  new for $700,just to clear the last one.....The Enfields had massive power,but half came back with bent gearbox mainshafts from dropping the clutch for drag starts...........I remember we had a staff meeting with the business owners .......they explained how bad things looked,and how they couldnt get a franchise for any Jap bike,but they had managed to get a sub agency from Mayfairs for the little Suzuki 4x4s....that looked like toys.......which they were.....nobody thought they would sell.......they sold allright......Mayfairs went from flogging Matchies and Commando s to ride the Suzuki car boom,then the Suzuki outboard boom.....then sold the Suzuki car franchise back to Suzuki for $7 million.,then the outboard franchise for a million more.

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 01:53:11 AM »
I have the RE Interceptor running well, but have some oil coming from the split cases where it seals at the base of the cylinders. I didn't split the cases as part of this project...yet. Has anyone seen this before?  The breather is clear and venting well. The oil is weeping from the area circled both in the front and the back.

There is no oil getting out of the push rod seals between the head and cylinder... they were just replaced and that area is as dry as a bone.

I can't detect any oil coming out of the bottom of the cylinders... they are well sealed. If I run a wire tie through the space between the bottom of the two cylinders... I get no oil on the wire tie.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:56:12 AM by jfcroni »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 03:20:19 AM »
Not knowing Interceptors at all, about your only option apart from splitting the cases and doing a full job of it is to work some sealant (not too much) into the gaps,
and see if you can halt the flow.
Don't force any too deep, or it may detach and cause further problems.

You will probably now get a lecture about doing a full job of it, so be prepared.... !
I found yonks ago that misc wasps nests and/or handfuls of stray washers was a very good reason to open everything,
and not skimp - or it will come back to bite you ?

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 05:38:11 AM »
Sometimes you can cure these types of leaks by cleaning out the crack/gap with acetone,then when the solvent is dry,use some wick in sealant to fill the space......Incidentally,I assume you know Enfield twins have two screws in between the cylinder bores,acessed from outside by two plugs.

Offline jfcroni

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 07:27:21 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. Yes I know about the two bolts under the cylinders... haven't touched them, but may have to.

I will try cleaning and using a Loctite ultra low viscosity sealer...maybe even a wicking thread sealer.

I let you know how it goes.