Author Topic: Struggling with a right type of villiers carburettor  (Read 3732 times)

Offline FNoldtimers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Struggling with a right type of villiers carburettor
« on: May 26, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
Hello, I am restoring a rare FN motorcycle build for the German market, it contains a Villiers 196cc 1E engine with Albion 3 gearbox and it must build around 1930-31.
For the carburettor I need a Middle/weight model with a jet number 3 and needle taper 3 1/2.
So far so good i’ve found already a carburettor but it seems be a brass MK3, the one now is not a single or double lever but only a slide control?
My question: Is it easy to rebuild a carburettor to a single or double lever control.
And how do I recognise a Middle Weight villiers carburettor??
Thanks in advance to answer my questions.
I lived in Bruges Belgium and I owns a lot of FN motorcycles and mopeds.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with a right type of villiers carburettor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 05:13:11 AM »
Hello FN,
Identifying pre-war Villiers motorcycle carburettors like yours is confusing at first but becomes easy with a little study. There are four basic sizes all identified by the diameter of the manifold they clip on to. These are,
Junior and Midget= 7/8",
Light Weight  (L/W) are 1",
Middle Weight (M/W) are 1&1/8" and,
Heavy Weight (H/W) 1 & 1/4".

Ignore the H/W. It was only made for a few months as WWII started. It is very rare. I have never seen one. The only ones of any concern to you are the L/W and M/W.
The Mk 3 and patent numbers and suchlike stamped on the float bowl mean nothing. Forget them. They are no help whatsoever.

Many of the parts across the range are interchangeable. This is both good and bad. The incorrect top on your carburettor shows how this.

Luckily most of the parts required on your carb for the best double lever set up are identical to those used on the 6E engine introduced in 1949. These should be available at Villiers Services.
I suggest for good information you buy a copy of "The Villiers Engine" by BE Browning. It has all the basic information on rebuilding an M/W carburettor. It was first published in 1949 and in many editions thereafter. You will find the second or third edition suits you best. I would also buy an illustrated spare parts list for the 6E engine as that will show all the parts required to build up your M/W with a double lever system.  The double lever system merely allows you to tune the carburettor from the handlebars while riding. It makes starting and riding much easier.

If you need an further information, just ask.

Offline FNoldtimers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Struggling with a right type of villiers carburettor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 02:34:08 PM »
Hello 33d6,

Thank you Sir, this was the missing information that I needed and thanks to you, I am now a hughe step forward.

Last evening i’ve made some extra research on the internet  and even I found a you tube movie who explains the working of a doubler lever system and it was on a villiers copy carburettor made for the German market and calls a FRAMO E Carburettor, identical to a villiers brass carburettor, and I presume all things are in metrics.

I will be now on the internet hunt for the book “The Villiers Engine” in second of third edition and the spare parts list for a 6E engine.

I deeply appreciate your help and keep you informed about the progress of rebuilding that strange only 5 bikes knows German FN motorcycle in Europe.

If I need further information, i will contact by this superb forum.

Thanks from FN or Jacques.