Author Topic: parts for 1930's James with Villiers 2E motor  (Read 4061 times)

Offline villiers481

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
parts for 1930's James with Villiers 2E motor
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »
Hi

Can anyone help me with the following

1. Toolbox. the attached is a photo of the toolbox on my bike but I do not know what parts are missing and what they look like eg the cover, the clasp or locking mechanism etc. Clearly on the front are some small slots etc etc but I am unsure what to go looking for?? I think the cutout at the top may have been a modification by the owner and not necessary original other than being a space to somehow fix a hinge?

2 The second attachment shows the front forks and then highlighted is the frame going under the tank to which it is fastened and then two tubes going down to the motor. Sorry this piece is sitting on top of the main frame and front forks in this picture. Quite complex and I wonder whether anyone has any good pictures of this assembly and even whose design this complex part of the frame was designed by. I see reference to documents saying Bakers patented frame but whether correct or not I just do not know and cannot find any info.

Hope someone can assist

David

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: parts for 1930's James with Villiers 2E motor
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 02:22:00 AM »
Why not look at the photos of the Baker held on this site? James bought Baker in the late 1920's and used the Baker frame for a few years.
You might also find it helpful to buy copies of the 1931 and 32 Annual Sales catalogues from the NMM. They usually contain illustrations of help to a restorer. They may even have an illustrated spare parts list as well. That makes life a bit easier.
Cheers,

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »

Hi David,

The patent is from December 1927, GB patent GB281503, assigned to Frank Edward Baker. Baker was the man behind Precision pre WW1, then the novel Beardmore Precision after the war.

I'm not sure if the image from the patent shows the frame exactly as implemented.

Cheers

Leon

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 11:31:45 PM »
I'm not sure if the image from the patent shows the frame exactly as implemented.

And we are not so sure the photo as above has the twin downtubes located in quite the correct position ?  If they were down further, and thus bolted to the lower bolthole on the steering head, they would better match the patent diagram.
(?)

Offline ScottT63

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 09:11:44 PM »
Here is how the frame should look.

Offline ScottT63

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »
My toolbox how it looked when I got the bike. The lock was broken and the key long gone so i've since removed it and now the lid is held in place with a leather strap that has a nice period look.

Offline ScottT63

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 09:19:53 PM »
Like this.

Offline ScottT63

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 09:24:01 PM »
Here is the toolbox midway through modifying it.

Offline villiers481

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 08:40:21 AM »
thanks for all of the great feedback. Yes that drawing from the baker patent looks to be exactly what I have and it will be very useful as I try and put it back together. I took photos of everything when I pulled it to bits yeas ago but as you might imagine the photos did not last so it is like a blank screen. where did you find the patent drawing as I have found almost nothing on the baker frames. I need to look closely at my frame but I think that picture is 100% what I have so great.

It seems now that I can probably assume that my dads bike is a 1931 Model C12 197CC with frame number being B863 and engine number XZ5800. I will also look on those other sites as recommended. does anyone know whether this model had a guard over the chain between the gearbox and the motor as I don't have one.
Does anyone have any ideas on the toolbox and even better any thoughts on where to best search for one becoming available eg ebay etc

david

David