Author Topic: Nostalgia is strong on this one  (Read 10322 times)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia is strong on this one
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
You blokes knowledge of obscure pre-war smokers made 6000 miles away always amazes me. It must have taken years to amass this amount of small clues, memories and facts.
I take my hat off to you... :)

Offline Alex61

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 02:03:07 PM »
After more research I think the R got it correct first.
The 1939 K8 looks like a perfect fit, and if you look at the 1939 K15 with the smaller engine it shows the LHS with the one piece guard for chain & dynamo just like under my aunt! Asuming the 148 and the 250 were identical apart from size then it apears 'mine' is a 250. If only I can find one now!

Its been a very fruitfull weekend, thank you all for your amazing knowledge.

James 1939 K8 250cc
http://simplywizard.co.uk/folders/pre1940/prewarl3/39k8250.htm

James 1939 K15 148cc
http://simplywizard.co.uk/folders/pre1940/prewarl3/39k15148.htm

Offline Alex61

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 12:06:08 AM »
UK members,
I'll be in London for just over a week in July. Is there a James museum/factory or something similar worth visiting?
Is it worth the 4 hour round trip to Birmingham?
Anyone got a higher quality K8 graphic than I posted that I can use to make a poster or T-shirt for the family?
Sorry if I sound a bit like a demanding colonial, just enthusiatic!

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 12:09:44 AM »
I was only echoing what Cardan had suggested, and supplied a link to.

Surprising how many manufacturers back then made something similar but with slightly different features. (Although I suppose you could say the same with many a ubiquitous 4 cylinder these days, and many a parallel twin, and v-twin, and and and ?)

There are no prizes here for being 'first' either,
we are only along for the entertainment - to help (hinder ?) folks !!

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 01:19:09 AM »
Visiting the NMM would be high on my list of places to visit.
Always learn something new in such places, and they look to have a fabulous collection.
Go for it, if you have an interest in bikes...

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 04:33:45 AM »
Alex,
There is always an element of doubt in what is written here given what we can see in the photo. We can be very confident, we can be almost positive but never surer we are utterly and unequivocally right.

But, there is one thing we can be 100% positive about and that is the capacity of the engine in your photos. It is most definitely a 250. Like many makers James fitted different sizes of engine in the same cycle parts. They also tweaked them with extra paint or chrome or different shape if exhaust to make "de luxe" or "sports" models. This is why pinning down the exact model of the family bike gets a bit fluffy at times but to repeat, have no doubt. It is a 250.

Cheers,

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 10:39:01 AM »
Do not leave out the Birmingham Museum of Transport which would probably be more informative than the other one which I found a disappointment in many ways.

Much further south, for sheer exotic bikes Sammy Miller museum is unbeatable.

If you will be based in London, keep your wallet out of sight, do not use your phone in full view in the street, don't leave it lying around in pubs or cafes; be careful with your change in pubs etc; use cash machines inside the banks,  our bank notes are now plastic and tend to stick together and its easy to pas out two instead of one, and have all your wits about you 24hrs a day. The London of Barry Mckenzie does not exist any more. Use black cabs not Uber. Some of our more recent arrivals can spot a tourist from a mile or more away.    Carry your bags across your chest.

I speak as a born and bred ex Londoner, I never go back there anymore.

PS parts of Birmingham might give you a shock as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:48:30 AM by mini-me »

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 11:12:23 AM »
There's a message in there somewhere MM. Fortunately you & I are lucky enough to live well out in the sticks; where things are a lot different.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 11:39:16 AM »
Yes, out here we still have shotguns.

Top tip for visitors to London, if you see a bloke or blokes waving a machete he's not offering to cut your hedge.

Always wear a fake Rolex, that way the muggers will get crap when they try to sell it on.

Stay well out the way of scooters especially if two up,  riding on the pavement or the wrong way down a one way street and wearing black hoodies, they are not on their way to a gym.

Other more explicit advice can be obtained by PM.

Offline Alex61

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 02:33:44 AM »
Mini-Me & TGR,
Thank you for your entertaining posts. Melbourne is a big city too and while not as "active" as London its not immune from big city issues. You made me laugh with the hedge warning, which I have since shared with multiple friends. I was in London last June/July visiting my brother, and despite it being just after the 2 serious attacks and the tower fire (which was very shocking, I drove past multiple times) I had an incident free and fun holiday. Looking forward to a shorter visit in 3 weeks. I got an anonymous email this morning about a James in Frankston, about 40min south of me. Only issue is that its a 53 model. If I'm going to get a James its going to be a K8 or a K15, I think its "all or nothing" especially if its going to be a huge novelty object for 99% of the time!

Looks like a very good Captain and includes a bike trailer!
https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/details/1953-james-captain-de-luxe/sse-ad-5118170/?id=sse-ad-5118170
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:14:18 AM by Alex61 »

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 08:28:13 AM »
That's strong money for a British cooking two smoke. Anyway, have a good trip.
Dave.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
Croydon is a nice place this year.