Author Topic: Albion 3Gear model E questions.  (Read 2710 times)

Offline FNoldtimers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Albion 3Gear model E questions.
« on: June 04, 2018, 06:21:10 PM »
Hello Sirs,

I've got some Albion questions, as i am restoring a lightweight 200cc FN but German built, when I've got the bike there where 2 gearboxes included!!

One got a strange clutch using a bigger axe with splines and 3 cork plate and 1 ferodo and a damper in rubber.

The second one contains 2 cork plates and is the half smaller, I think the original one!!

A other question in guiding the shift lever I've got 2 models, witch one do you suggest to use??

I've read already a lot in this forum about Albion!!

So please gentlemen, my I ask your opinion in that matter to overhaul that gearbox.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Albion 3Gear model E questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
Hello FN,
Albion supplied all their gearboxes in many varieties. If the customer gave a big order they would change them even more. Yours is a very common problem.

The first thing you do is check the chain alignments.Both the primary and the rear chains. Albion supplied their boxes with varying alignments depending on what the customer ordered. Regardless of anything else, when the gearbox is in position the engine sprocket and clutch sprockets must be in alignment and the rear drive sprocket must accurately line up with the rear wheel sprocket. I would be surprised if you can do this with both boxes.

I expect you are right and the box with the lightest clutch is the right one. Motorcycle factories always used the cheapest and lightest components they could. There is certainly no need for a large and heavy clutch with the 196cc 1E engine.

Tell us what you find.

Offline FNoldtimers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »
Super thanks for the information mister 33d6;

I’ve got some work to do and I will inform you about the progress in the lining up primary chain and rear chain.

I’ve learned daily more and more about Villiers and Albion.

This is my first bike with a external gearbox, all FN motorcycles got those build in, on Sarolea use the British way and use a separate gearbox, but I do not own any Sarolea.

I will start in the coming weeks with the lining up of engine-gearbox-rear end.

Thanks for your help.

FN Oldtimers Bruges Belgium.

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 12:24:00 PM »
Hi,
I have an OK Supreme with an Albion gearbox similar to the ones pictured
In the last photo the clutch arm looks "funny" the case has the boss for the same clutch arm as on the other cover

In a bid to get spares for mine I have bought another couple of them,
I have 90% plus of a spare 3 speed if you need  more bits for your collection

Its been a while since I workd on them but I seem to remember that the stud holes for the mountings could also be differently located ?????
My eventual aim is to complete a 4 speed version for the OK, these were fitted a while later. 
The main casing is the same as the 3 speed but the outer cover is deeper
One 4 speed I bought came with an OK Supreme mounting platform and a crossover shaft and pedal for the rear brake. There is no room for the RH pedal when the wider gearbox is fitted, this one also has the remains of what might be an external positive stop foot gear change ????

John

So many projects and only one lifetime  ::) ::)
John

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 01:00:11 AM »
Albion boxes were also used in things like small tractors and motor carts......in my collection I also have an exact copy of a 3E,but without any Albion marks,and the gears are marked "Diecut" ,a name that also appears on replacement sprockets,so I assume its a locally made knock off....Lots of Albion boxes have space for a reverse gear,and in bikes this space could also be used for a four speed.