Author Topic: Old Italjet Identity  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Haydn.F

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Old Italjet Identity
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:00:37 AM »
Hi to everyone. A friend of mine has come across an old Italjet (in the UK) and we are trying to identify the year and model. We think it’s early to mid ‘70’s but can’t seem to find much info on the Internet and the Italjet websites have nothing. Perhaps someone out there may have some knowledge, memories or experience of this bike.

Any information (or where we could obtain information) would be gratefully appreciated.

Here’s what we know so far:
Engine: Franco Morini – New 100, Can’t find an engine number
Frame # 3 7-10054
Carburettor: Dellorto VHB 22BS
Stator: Dansi Varese ASL236NS
Wheels: Front = 19 inch, Rear = 17 inch
Marzocchi suspension

Online Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Old Italjet Identity
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 01:56:26 PM »
I bought a mini-bike for my boys many years ago and that had the same engine. After the invention of the t'Interwebby I found out that these Franco Morini engines were used in bikes badged as everything from Indian to Casal and lots were sold in the US.
Italjet were the company behind the Indian-Velo of decades ago, if I remember correctly.

Offline Haydn.F

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 07:39:05 PM »
Cheers,

I've just added Indian and Casal to my list Morini engined manufactures. Here's my list so far:

Aprilia, Baretta, Beta, Bianchi, BSA, Casal, Fantic, Garelli, Husqvarna, Intramotor, Italjet, Indian, KTM, LEM, Macbor (Spain), Malaguti, Mecatecno, Monark, Oscar, Paloma, Proxon, Rivara, TM Racing and Viking.

Online Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
That's some going! Wasn't Franco Morini the dad (or something) of the bloke who started Moto Morini? I seem to recall some family connection.

Offline Haydn.F

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 01:20:20 AM »
I think Alfonso Morini started it all off in the 1930's and his nephew Franco, founded 'Morini Franco Motori spa' a couple of decades later.