Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

1932 BSA side valve starting problem

<< < (3/3)

Billington:
Hi John

Thank you for your post. I have a copy of this book and have found it to be useful. I also have the B.S.A Motor Cycle Instruction Book 1930 to 1936 which tends to covers my bike more closely.

This has been my first reference for stating the bike, however it’s method currently does not work.
Just for interest the book says.

Set the throttle at about one eighth open and the air lever shut. Move the ignition control to about one half full advance.

With the larger engines, first depress he kick-starter until compression is felt. Then raise the exhaust lifter and depress the kickstarter about another quarter of its travel. Allow the kickstarter to return to its top position, and without rising the exhaust lifter give the pedal a vigours kick downwards. In cold weather flood the carburetter by depressing the tickler for a short time only, since excessive flooding will make starting difficult. Now move the ignition control to the fully advanced position. As soon as the engine is warm open the air lever about three-quarters of its travel. It is unnecessary to disturb this control unless the engine knocks when the control should be closed slightly.

R:
As said above, engines are  always (almost always ?) set so the spark timing is a certain number of degrees or fractions of an inch (or mm) before tdc fully advanced - and the retarded value will take care of itself.
So that is/was most of your real problem all along... ?

You need to research this further, it would be odd if BSA had suddenly discarded decades of experience in quoting this value ?

My bikes - not W32-6 though - will not start if fully fully retarded, the spark has faded a bit by then.
So your spark may be a bit weak by the time its fully advanced ?
You likely won't find this out until conditions (inside t'engine) are tougher...

chaterlea25:
Hi Billington,
I never bother with  the air lever on my bikes, from cold press the tickler until fuel spills
a hint of throttle, and as much advance as possible without kick back
As R said the spark fades with retard
Some old sidevalvers need a good spinning over to fire especially when hot
Some riders spin the engine  with the valve lifter operated and drop it (at the right moment) so the flywheel inertia
starts the engine
Its all getting to know the beast involved

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version