Author Topic: ES2 progress  (Read 10502 times)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: ES2 progress
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 02:59:52 PM »
Yep, done it as an initial step. It's a really clever device, although both of mine were seized solid through non-use. Every little helps, ...as some said.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 11:22:31 PM »
I did read a negative comment about RGM linings on the NOC forum recently.

I'd take that comment with a grain of salt ?
They have arrived, and have quite a rough surface (and a lot of brass wire in them),
and would take a lot of bedding in I think. Or some fettling to arc them to a good fit.
So to just bolt them in and expect an improvement straight away is probably a nonsense ?

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 05:37:29 AM »
If you took a young person of today and set them loose in the sixties,they would die of fright.......you actually had to do things for yourself,and if something wasnt right,you fixed it so it was....The current lot of classic bike owners under forty seem to expect everything to be perfect,or spent endless hours moaning about it on some forum....

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
So true John. In the 60s, if I didn't mend my bike or old banger car, I didn't get to work. The prospect of no beer money at the weekend certainly concentrated the mind. No internet for info or Ebay for bits. If Lawton & Wilson etc. or one of several S/H bike shops didn't have it, that was your lot.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
I did read a negative comment about RGM linings on the NOC forum recently.

I'd take that comment with a grain of salt ?
They have arrived, and have quite a rough surface (and a lot of brass wire in them),
and would take a lot of bedding in I think. Or some fettling to arc them to a good fit.
So to just bolt them in and expect an improvement straight away is probably a nonsense ?

Let us know how you get on.

I had some very poor experiences with RGM in the 90s when parts for my Commando didn't fit (and they blamed me for it). For example, fork bushes that wouldn't slide over the (genuine from Andover Norton) stanchions as they were .002" undersize. More recently the few bits I've had from them for the ES2 have been good.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Up and running......
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 05:31:20 PM »
It sounds very healthy and not at all flat. The video that followed my viewing (they vary) was of a bloke reviewing some British classics at (I think) the NMM. A good film, but let down by daft comments by the mature presenter. Vincent Black Shadow top speed 140mph, Black Prince 150mph and the RGS introduced in the late 60s. The rest of his remarks were spot on.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
Timed at the "book" 5/8" BTDC. The 3.5 cutaway is working really well - the bike starts first kick with just the air lever closed, half retard and no flooding. I haven't really touched the mechanics yet but it does seem that it has had a sympathetic owner for much of its life (if I ignore the odd metric bolts here and there).

I will need some cylinder and head fins welding - any suggestions for someone in the West Midlands?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 10:55:21 AM by iansoady »
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »
Both barrel and head fins seem very prone to breaking.....Worse than any other single i have.......mine goes OK but its been bored +060 on a liner,which is thin as paper.......a worry.....My main problem is with clutch runout,a costly fix.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »
Is it the clutch or the gearbox mainshaft that's out of true? There's a bit of eccentricity on my mainshaft which I have yet to decide whether to fix....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 11:54:02 PM »
Ian,Ive got worn splines on both,and  the clutch centre end plates are loose on the spider,and then the roller race is worn oversize.....Ive been tossing around solutions that dont cost and arm and leg......looking into the feasibility of making the joint a taper with six loose keys.....The mainshaft and spider are already knackered,so if I wreck them,its not a big deal.Then the rear sprocket is loose on the sleeve gear,again very worn splines........The whole gearbox /clutch needs a complete overhaul.....Ive only had it fifty years and its plumb wore out.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
The eccentricity is not in the mainshaft......

It's in folk who insist in keeping obsolete machines on the road while  getting some perverse enjoyment of doing so.

The bike is just knackered. ;)

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2018, 07:09:30 PM »
Ive only had it fifty years and its plumb wore out.
They don’t make em to last like they did in the old days.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 09:28:50 AM »
Can't you make a new plumb?