Author Topic: BSA Info  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Beeza Briggs

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
BSA Info
« on: September 07, 2018, 06:12:03 PM »
Hi all, I have a BSA a50 royal star 1966 model. It was restored and reregistered in 1992 long before I bought it. Its a long shot but what I am wondering is, is there a way of find out the original registration number. I would like to find out more about the bike, like when in 66 she was built and also which dealer sold her if at all possible. Any info most welcome thanks.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BSA Info
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 10:08:55 AM »
The BSA Owners or Vintage Club may be able to help but probably only if you join. I would join BSA Owners - quite a good club.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 11:30:12 AM »
The VMCC (or BSAOC?) should have the despatch records. There might be some progress if the supplying dealer or their successors still exist. Unlikely though.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline Beeza Briggs

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »
Thanks for the help and info, I'll look into it.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 02:34:44 AM »
Where are you - that can make a difference finding such records.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 05:42:29 AM »
there is also a chance it was a reimport from the US.................where british bikes were dirt cheap in those days.

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »
+You do not have to be a member of the BSA owners club to get the dispatch records for your bike it will cost you £15 a member pays £5.The person to contact is the librarian Steve Foden he can only be contacted by letter, his address is113 Holmville Road Bebington Wirral CH63 2PX. You need to send a Cheque payable to BSAOC library account also SAE envelope. You will also have to provide photos of the bike also pencil rubbings of the engine and frame numbers this is a requirement of the DVLA. For this you will recieve a document which will tell you when the bike left the factory who it was dispatched to also whether the engine and frame were together when they left the factory you may also be informed when it was first registered and what colour it was if he has that info. I am a member of the BSA owners club and done this a number of times for different bikes but be patient for a reply as this is a voluntary job and he does have a life to lead on average it usually takes about 2 weeks.

Offline Beeza Briggs

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »
Thanks for all the help. I intend on joining the bsa owners club, as scrolling through the pages on these forums is a god send, when it comes to advice/fault finding.
'R' I live in Glasgow but the bike is from Stoke. The paperwork/receipts I have for it suggest its originally from the Stoke area but was off the road for a long time prior to being restored in 1992.
I take it i'm correct in thinking that, when reregistered in 1992 it would have been given a new registraition number, and would not of been able to keep the old number?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:27:39 AM by Beeza Briggs »

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
The V5c will tell you the date of first registration if it is 1992 then it will have a new number if the date is 1966 then it is highly likely that it is the original number. As an example my 1963 A65 had been off the road for approx 30 years when I bought it but I had the original RF60 log book so was able to claim the original registration when I registered it in 2010 but the V5c states first registered 23rd June 1963. A previous bike that I owned an A10 which I restored but had no paperwork and had to get an age related number was a 1957 bike but the V5c stated first registered 1996 which was when I put it on the road.