Author Topic: Sunbeam  (Read 5473 times)

Offline klaudius

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sunbeam
« on: October 13, 2018, 09:37:33 AM »
Hallo.Ich wanted to introduce myself. My name is Klaudius am 45 years old, I'm in Germany and am interested in English motorcycles from the 20/30 years. Seats 3 Sunbeam from 1932. A 500 and 600 Longstroke and a 600 OHV. All 3 machines are still in the original paint and Fahrbereit.die last was bought here in Cologne in 1932 and is only 16800 km gelaufen.Ich have a question about the valve setting of the Longstroke.Trotz meticulous adjustment to the operating manual is the valve clearance there in warm engine. Otherwise the machine runs absolutely randomly. What am I doing wrong? Please list my Englich, I'm still learning. Thanks a lot. Klauudius

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Sunbeam
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 09:41:36 AM »
Nice bikes Klaudius!
I wonder who would have bought a Sunbeam in Cologne in 1932? It must have been horrendously expensive the last days of the Weimar Republic!

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »
My Pitmans manual suggests, for the Longstroke side valve,  .006" - .008" (.15 - .2 mm) exhaust and almost zero for the inlet (it suggests the thickness of a cigarette paper although I would use aluminium kitchen foil). Adjusted when cold.

I had a Model 10 of similar age and it ran very well even though wear in the rockers meant the clearances were a bit inaccurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xmznxXj-6Q
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:20:08 PM »

Offline klaudius

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 06:03:57 AM »
Thank you for your valuable tips. During the weekend I drove to Seson end 300km. The old lady ran eagerly. Does anyone know the ignition length (mm?) For a 600 OHV Sunbeam. Over the winter, the service gets a lot from me. To answer the questions: The new was bought in Cologne.Uph also wanted to buy the owner of a new small car and thus to impress his fiancé. At home he combed with these sunbeams. His fiancee was not happy with it. Was married anyway. Interesting that the 600 OHV Sunbeam was offered as a solo machine (fork lever, gear letters). Hidden before the war in an uncle's village she survived the war, despite Nazi motorcycle search. One more question: many machines in England drive with new speedometer rubber sheathing. Does anyone know where to get such matching rubber? Thanks in advance.Klaudius

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »
Try the Marston Sunbeam link I gave above, 100% Sunbeam, and they would like to see photos.

[Probiere den Marston Sunbeam Link, den ich oben gegeben habe, 100% Sunbeam, und sie würden gerne Fotos sehen.]

Offline klaudius

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
Thank you for your help and tips. As described, I am looking for the possibility of buying the speedometer plastic tube. Pair of Pictures before-after. Klaudius
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 04:21:43 PM by klaudius »

Offline klaudius

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »
There would still be a question. I would like to have bought something from the shop. Shipping costs are not a problem. Unfortunately, the shop tells me that it can not be delivered to Germany at the moment. Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? Is someone ready to send me the ordered items? I would have sent the money before. Thanks in advance and have a nice evening.Klaudius

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 05:49:50 PM »
Talk to me by PM Klaudius, I am a member of the Sunbeam club and can probably help.

The club shop is run by a volunteer, just one man, and often sending bits out of UK can be more trouble than its worth.

Postage to Germany can be quite expensive, its bad enough within the UK.

[Get in quick before we leave EU though, we are not fans of Mutti]

Offline klaudius

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:55 AM »
Hello. Have send you PM .Thanks for your help.Klaudius

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
nothing here yet klaudius

Offline klaudius

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 06:12:17 PM »
Hello. excuse me but that exceeds my language skills. Either I make a mistake when registering or I'm just too stupid for it ... irretrievably both ...  ;)The system constantly throws me out. I would like to sign up again, announces that this email is already taken .... strange.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 08:17:01 PM »
I sent you a PM Klaudius, see if that works

Offline klaudius

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 02:20:22 PM »
Hello. Thank you for your kind help. Could get the things and am already in an anti-stress Christmas mode.