Author Topic: Excelsior 350cc OHV twin port 1929/30  (Read 4965 times)

Offline PaulBurton

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Excelsior 350cc OHV twin port 1929/30
« on: October 15, 2018, 04:36:42 PM »
Hi Excelsior enthusiasts out there. You may recall our correspondence from a couple of years ago when i set out restoring an Excelsior handed down throught the family. Here are a couple of update pictures now that the machine is out of the workshop and finally on the ground. One also 'as was'. Thanks all of you for your help and encouragement along the way. Never did find a frame number!

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Excelsior 350cc OHV twin port 1929/30
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:20:38 PM »
I'd give it house room. Does the saddle rear contact the mudguard when you go over a bump though?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »
A passable effort, now, as Rex says sort that saddle out, adjust that rear chain, get rid of those appalling  crimp connectors which stick out like a sore thumb, and are those rusty nuts I see?

Keep at it lad.

No old bike should need connectors in any run of cable except at the ends. just run one length of cable back to front, for each application, preferably in black wire.  NEATLY.

More nitpicking.
where the HT had it running?
that fuel pipe needs changing asap preferably for a copper pipe.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:30:11 PM by mini-me »

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:57:11 PM »
Good effort. The seat needs some longer springs or spacers to bring it up slightly above level. The way it is now you will slide off the back over ever bump.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:10:04 PM »
The BTH magdyno is very unusual....and rare ,I expect.......The fuel line is likely spray paint hose,thiokol lined and the only fuel line Ive found to be 100% reliable with modern fuel......which is pretty close to paint thinner in chemical makeup.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »
Copper pipe is also reliable and impervious to everything.

Depending on the frame lugs he needs something like prewar Triumph set up to raise the seat, very long springs are not the answer.

Offline PaulBurton

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »
Thanks for the comments. The exposed electrical wiring is entirely my fault. I totally forgot (old age?) to put the battery box in place (with the terminals then hidden) before taking the pictures. The saddle does look odd but they are the original springs and the saddle itself is an exact replica of the original. Its position is very close to that shown in the 'before' picture. As I am not likely to be riding this machine, it's far too heavy for an oldie like me, I will leave it for next user to adjust to suit.
There are plenty of small 'tweaks' still to do on this and it is the first such job I have ever undertaken. So it is helpful to have comments from enthusiasts who can spot where things are wrong!

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 05:35:07 AM »
With some half dozen identical Model 1 Excelsior frames from the period sitting about the place I've slowly come to the conclusion that in 1930 Excelsior dithered about how they would number them.  I've two 1929 frames with one numbering system, two with no numbers at all and two prefixed A, the system introduced in 1931. Chats with other Excelsior owners is slowly convincing me that in 1930 they either stamped a few with some sort of orphan number or no number at all. Mainly no number at all. It's no big deal. It's only a problem either when it comes to getting the things on the road as depending on where you live some authorities downright insist on a frame number or convincing people it is truly a 1930 machine and thus eligible to enter in proper vintage events. Best of luck with that one.

As far as the saddle goes Excelsior of the period used a natty more or less right angle forging for the saddle nose attachment that fitted in to the saddle tube and could be raised or lowered to suit the riders preference. These are occasionally missing or replaced with some strange bodges leading to odd saddle configurations. Even if the original bit is there it can sometimes be amazingly difficult to raise or lower and also lead to some strange configurations. Fresh paint can make it even more awkward. Again, best of luck with that.

Finally, too old to ride an Excelsior? Never old friend, never. The late vintage Excelsior is a lovely machine. I never believed all that nonsense about racing improving the breed but in Excelsior's case having won the 1929 Lightweight TT with essentially the same bike as yours I have to agree. They are an agile sweet little machine and a pleasure to ride. Being of an age that my riding is limited and the manager is pushing hard for me to stop altogether I can say that my Excelsior is staying even if everything else goes. The post war Excelsior did nothing to enhance the Excelsior name. The pre-war Excelsior is another beast entirely.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:19:36 PM »
Didn't that come up pretty. Nice work.

Those saddle springs need work, as mentioned....

Offline chris mac

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »
The BTH magdyno is fairly rare and they made several subtle variations
What's really rare is the separate BTH cutout

Offline PaulBurton

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and comments (I've been away for the pst week so unable to respond before now). Thanks especially 33d6 for encouraging me to forget the advances of old age!