Author Topic: Triumph torque  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Triumph torque
« on: October 20, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
66 Bonnie engine has been fully rebuilt - not by me - 500 or so miles ago. The bike is in excellent order throughout, but I haven't checked much just yet - preferrring to ride it at present, but I changed all lubrication oils last week. Once more, I feel I may be somewhat paranoid here so apologies, but it does "feel" somewhat reluctant to open up much above 3500. I have deliberately kept it below 4000 so as to allow things to bed in, but I would have thought by now things would have started to loosen up a bit and for the bike to "feel" as if it could at least reach 90 mph if required. No smoke, no rattle, no hesitation... Am I being impatient? 

antoni

Re: Triumph torque
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 09:10:40 PM »
I bought the earliest version of that bike - when it was a 350 - and had a similar experience. It went well but did not seem to develop enough power at full throttle. Climbing a long hill it seized. Long story short, the main jet was much too small and it therefore ran with very high combustion temperatures when the throttle was fully open or close to.

During the rebuild that fact came to light.

Went much better afterward.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:13:01 PM by antoni »

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
Sensible reply. The plugs should give you a clue. If it is weak there could be several causes.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »
I always err on the large side for main jets as too big just soots plugs, too small - well we all know........

I always leave main jet till last (unlike the official Amal instructions) as if it's too big all the other tuning instructions are still valid and will give you a bike you can at least start and ride.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves