Author Topic: Rocker Oil Feed  (Read 1668 times)

Offline A65rider

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Rocker Oil Feed
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:24:17 PM »
I have a Triton with a Triumph T110 engine, which has been modified with a Nourish / Weslake 8 valve head and 920cc barrel. I had the engine rebuilt and as part of the refurbishing process fitted a new central oil tank. I realised that the new oil tank didn't have a restricted return pipe which provides back pressure to drive the oil to the rockers (T'd off the oil return line). To get around this I decided to feed the rockers from the pressure gauge tapping on the timing cover, adjacent to the pressure relief valve and has the advantage of feeding filtered oil that has been cooled in the main oil tank. This operates at high pressure so I fitted a restrictor into the feed line. This all works well and I get a good supply to the rockers.

However having run the engine in for around 1200 miles I've come to the conclusion that too much oil is getting to the rockers (various symptoms) and so I'm considering going back to the original scheme of feeding the rockers via a T off the oil return line. I've also fitted an oil filter into the oil return line so this will give me some back pressure but I'm considering putting a restrictor into the oil return line.

Does anyone have a view on the size of restrictor I should fit. Due to the design of the oil tank its not possible to crimp the end of the pipe and drill a small hole in it like many factory bikes have.

Best regards

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rocker Oil Feed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
I would further restrict the arrangement you have at present. I wouldn't muck about restricting the main oil return as it obviously works well at the moment.
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.