Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 3577 times)

Offline HD12

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any ideas?
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:22:53 AM »
Hi group, I'm a newbie here. Been riding for a long time, but not as long as some of you in sure. Some great posts here.
I've attached a pic of my best mates late Father. Avid motorcyclist all his life. We dug out so.e of photos, anyone know what this is. I seem to be edging toward a matchless .

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:30:18 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
Royal Enfield. Twin Cylinder, probably 1950s.
Since its been cafed a bit, not so easy to put a year to,
but approx mid 1950s model.

Bit like this one ?
EDIT - found a pic more in keeping with the year, as suggested by MM, rather than the random pic selected.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:04:51 PM by R »

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 11:03:29 AM »
Definitely a Royal Enfield Twin. Can't see enough of the motor to be sure but I think it might be a 500 (Meteor Minor) as the barrels look shorter. The other cycle parts might give a clue but of course could have been chosen for the build: the domed toolbox covers are from 1958 onwards and the siamese exhaust with the kicked up tailpipe are also from 1958 on, usually fitted to the Airflow fairing equipped models. The front fork sliders feature the extended lead fitted for sidecar use, the handling must have been interesting!
REgards, Mark

Offline HD12

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:09:52 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. Now I've looked at the pics you've both posted I can see it's not a single. Clearly I was missing the second port. Yeah, Duggie was known for transforming his stuff, and handling wasn't always other people's idea of fun. He had some great stories to tell us in his day. We were starting out as, what we thought, the next Barry Sheene, he used to laugh and give tales of the teddy boys riding the Bovey straights road from one end to the other before the freshly started jukebox single finished. All for bragging rights of course. Thanks again. Look forward to being on this forum.