Author Topic: Rocket Three oil return  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Rocket Three oil return
« on: February 09, 2019, 12:25:56 PM »
I am currently rebuilding my Featherbed framed Rocket Three.

I never did like the way the original builder made the oil return into the tank and want to alter it so the flow of oil can be seen and is above the oil high level point.

I’m assuming that in order to create back pressure so the rocker feed gets an acceptable amount of oil that the exit hole of the return pipe is smaller than the 7/16” bore of the hose. Does anyone agree and if so can anyone tell me the diameter of the hole or size of tube in the original oil tank.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rocket Three oil return
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »
Usually the end of the return pipe is flattened leaving a slit for the returning oil. No idea what the corss section would be however.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 01:05:01 PM »
Don't know about a Rocket Three tank but common or garden BSA's and Trumpets I've had had a small hole 2-3mm in diameter in the top of the oil return pipe. Just enough to check the oil return to the tank.

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 01:20:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

That’s what I’m basing my assumptions on and would have made it the same size as my oil in frame Bonnie but the Rocket Three feed and return pipes are bigger. I also have to take into account the Rocket Three has its oil cooler after the rocker feed take off which will create some back pressure. I sure I’m thinking too much into it but would like to have a definitive answer.

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:44:11 PM »
Hi
I think your question would be better answered on one of these forum

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/23/1/the-triple-forum

http://www.triplesonline.com/

John

Offline Grunt

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 09:25:58 AM »
I’ve looked at both forums occasionally but I cant get on with them. There’s too much going on on the iPad screen, if a wayward bit of hand brushes the wrong part of the screen you could find you’ve married someone from Latvia, male or female! Not that there’s anything wrong with Latvians, male or female. It’s just that the current Mrs Grunt might not be best pleased.

I think I’ll join the Trident and Rocket Three owners club.