Author Topic: Parts to get a 34 Royal Enfield Model A back on the road  (Read 8534 times)

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Parts to get a 34 Royal Enfield Model A back on the road
« on: May 30, 2019, 08:19:40 PM »
Its my son's project he's an apprentice so money is tight, he isn't bothered about originality he just wants it up and running so if you have any bits that might fit and are about the period let me know
Wheels
Magneto
Mudguards
Lights
Speedo
Switches
Petrol tap
Bit that bolts on the tank for the hand change

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Parts to get a 34 Royal Enfield Model A back on the road
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 11:21:51 PM »
If he waits for the correct parts to turn up he'll probably be retired before he finishes it, so the best option is to make or modify parts to fit, and then replace the "incorrect" parts as originals turn up (if they ever do!).
Mudguards, lights, speedo (if it ever had one) switches and petrol tap are generic items, and the mag and wheels should be adaptable from something else without too much hardship.

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 07:01:07 AM »
Thanks Rex that's what we are hoping, the Mag is just too expensive so he will make an electronic ignition and hide it

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 09:17:29 AM »
Look to the  Indian made bits. I used 350 wheels, forks, guards, etc on my model A rebuild.

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »
Thanks I don't think his budget will stretch to new parts but I will have a look, what size are the wheels? The details we have say 25" x 3: but we assume that's the total diameter with the tyre on?

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 11:42:27 PM »
The wheels are 19" chromed rims, stainless spokes, black painted hubs and came with brakes, bearings and axels. Just fit tyres. They were $370 delivered to Aus for front and rear.

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 03:11:23 PM »
Thanks he is going to have a good look for second hand he is going to go to Newark Autojumble tomorrow, he just can't afford new

Offline vintage_keith

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Occasional blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 10:42:11 PM »
I seem to recall the model A was coil ignition, with the points in the end of the dynamo, so forget the magneto!
Oops, just seen the post about electronic ignition, so scrub the above.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:44:22 PM by vintage_keith »

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 07:16:26 AM »
Thanks he is going to have a good look for second hand he is going to go to Newark Autojumble tomorrow, he just can't afford new
Nothing at Newark and nothing at Junction 36 one that took over from Garstang

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:40:07 AM »
When searching Autojumbles it pays to be selective. The two big events which cater for pre-War machines are the one at the VMCC Banbury Run (next weekend, the 16th June) and Founder's Day at Stanford Hall, 21st July. It's always worth looking wherever you can but many of the regular jumbles are mostly post War stuff or mixed with modern Jap parts and car bits. Having said that the regular EJP Kempton Park racecourse jumble (next is 20th July) frequently turns up some good stuff. Also be aware that Enfield constantly changed the specification of all their bikes in the 30s, especially the tiddlers, so make sure you know what you're buying! Good luck!
REgards, Mark
PS anyone got a rear wheel complete for a 1934 Model S? It's for a friend, honest!

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
When searching Autojumbles it pays to be selective. The two big events which cater for pre-War machines are the one at the VMCC Banbury Run (next weekend, the 16th June) and Founder's Day at Stanford Hall, 21st July. It's always worth looking wherever you can but many of the regular jumbles are mostly post War stuff or mixed with modern Jap parts and car bits. Having said that the regular EJP Kempton Park racecourse jumble (next is 20th July) frequently turns up some good stuff. Also be aware that Enfield constantly changed the specification of all their bikes in the 30s, especially the tiddlers, so make sure you know what you're buying! Good luck!
REgards, Mark
PS anyone got a rear wheel complete for a 1934 Model S? It's for a friend, honest!
Thanks Mark, we have started to notice they appear to have used what they could find as some books show different parts on the same years? I have had a few people tell me they fitted Albion boxes but our books show there own box? As you say it's a mine field. He will be happy just to get it back on the road so initially as long as the bits fit and look period he will be over the moon.

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »
Yes, the specifications do vary year to year but don't get confused by the difference in model year. Enfield's production year ran September to August so a bike made on the 1st of Sept 1934 is actually a 1935 model year specification. It's also worth remembering how old the poor thing is, like Noah's hammer quite a few parts will have been changed and usually without regard to originality! I don't know too much about pre-war Enfields but post war they were pretty good at fitting the correct parts, partly because even when at their production peak in the late 50s they made bikes in relatively small batches (looking at the build books 250 would have been a big order) and providing this sort of number of sets of parts is not that difficult. The "they fitted whatever they had to hand" explanation is usually an excuse for an owners poor research or ignorance I'm afraid! On the plus side Enfield followed a policy of commonality of design so there is usually an alternative for the restorer even if it needs slight alteration.
REgards, Mark

Offline winchman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
Thanks Mark that's some more good info

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 11:24:17 PM »
I have had a few people tell me they fitted Albion boxes but our books show there own box?

Did Enfields have any gearbox making capability ?
In the very early 30s, the boxes look to be Sturmer Archer.
But they (SA) ceased about then.

In subsequent years, circa 1936 etc, if the box says Enfield or Royal Enfield on it, then it was made by Albion.
I've not seen the parentage of what happened in between....

Seems to have lost its aluminium painted tank - or were there other alternative models ?
https://live.staticflickr.com/3683/9138798916_4b7279d634_b.jpg
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:29:32 PM by R »

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 09:32:34 AM »
Enfield did indeed make their own boxes for a short period in the 30s. I'm not sure exactly when!  I've never seen one in the metal but I believe it was quite an advanced design with a barrel cam selector arrangement. However it seems to have been spoiled by a lack of metal between the shaft bearings resulting in case damage and cracking.
REgards, Mark