Author Topic: Amal 76/276 carb on its side.....horizontal.  (Read 4168 times)

Online john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Amal 76/276 carb on its side.....horizontal.
« on: June 13, 2019, 05:55:57 AM »
Someone has mentioned an Amal 76/276 run horizontally...........I intend to do that with a JAP motor I have ,to shorten the intake pipe...........The only bike with a Horizontal Amal Ive been able to look at is a Triumph 350 single of the 30s.....and apparently ,it leaks more petrol than it burns........so its owner is keen to know too..........Ive got a float bowl setup that can  easily adjust the petrol level......same as the remote for a GP........But as the carb sits on top of the mag,petrol bath is obviously undesirable......Over to you.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Amal 76/276 carb on its side.....horizontal.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
Let me say that we have not had the chance to run this carb yet, the clutch is not yet clutching,
so this is all hypothetical at this stage. !

Someone mentioned that the trick to getting these carbs running correctly is to reduce the fuel level
until it changes from being wildly incontinent to becoming continent.
And this carb came with a black line marked on the float bowl BELOW the level of the jet,
we have no way of knowing if this is valid or not. The line is horizontal, the pic isn't.
Obtaining a NOS brass (copper) float revealed the top retainer mechanism is much lower than yer general
run-of-the-mill well stretched item.
And finding a float needle with a choice of float level points seemed helpful too.

Its common to see sidefloat carbs running quite rich - they start easy, but can chew through the petrol.
Getting them leaner and frugal is a near lost art ?
Whether this is born out with this one will be interesting to see.
Have fun...

https://i.postimg.cc/WbJpLzcX/float-level.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/NFgvSGYf/float-and-float-needle.jpg

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:42:50 AM by R »

Offline chris mac

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:27:27 AM »
You don't say if the carb is flange or spigot mount, if spigot mount rotate the carb until the float chamber connection is just slightly high and the float chamber horizontal
If flange mount then rotating the float chamber will ensure the jet is flooded but the float can bind
I have seen installations with additional drilling which supposedly improve things, but basically a horizontal jet doesn't work great

Online john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 02:11:23 AM »
I suppose my question should be....is the horizontal carb different from the vertical.....or can a standard vertical body be used?............Its spigot mount ,so any angle can be accomodated.........I thought about having the carb angled ,but that doesnt look right...........the float bowl hasn been made yet,but will be a old Binks twojet brass bowl with a bit soldered to the side ............currently I am using a Amal bowl with a bit of hose connecting,and adjustable level.................Ive tried a 76 with the external bleeds ,and petrol goes everywhere until the motor is running......Ive tried the 276 and petrol only leaks from the slide top ring.,until the motor is going...................this is exactly the same result as on the Triumph single......................................the obvious way is to turn off the fuel if the motor isnt running,which is what he does.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 04:41:41 AM »
This one I have is totally different to yer average sidefloat Amal.
The boltup area is rotated to sideways orientation.
There is only a small possible rotation of the floatbowl.
If yours is spigot mounted, you should only need the sideways floatbowl ?

I previously didn't mention that an unworn needle and needlejet would
seem to be essential in preventing copious and unwanted fuel flows...

https://i.postimg.cc/SNrq10Zd/Sideways-Amal.jpg
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:06:14 AM by R »

Online john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:02:52 AM »
The bowl I make will have be a little further back to clear the tiiming cover,but thats neither here or there..........I probably shouldnt have cut the intake short without waiting to see how it all fitted........Anyway,im just interested to know if there is any difference in the internals of the carb body,like for instance the jet block and guide.....I also note your carby is a Allparts ,then only Amal bit the floatbowl top...........i suppose I could ask Burlens or Hitchcocks.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
My old Empire Star had one of these carbs but I never found it problematic.
If there is a problem then the long-throat 276 (as used on various MO1L equipped singles) is a possibility?

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 07:10:10 AM »
The bowl I make will have be a little further back to clear the tiiming cover,but thats neither here or there..........I probably shouldnt have cut the intake short without waiting to see how it all fitted........Anyway,im just interested to know if there is any difference in the internals of the carb body,like for instance the jet block and guide.....I also note your carby is a Allparts ,then only Amal bit the floatbowl top...........i suppose I could ask Burlens or Hitchcocks.

I haven't quite decided how much of the internals are Amal and how much are copy, its tough to know.
All the small bits could well be Amal sourced. ?
Be a lot of work to manufacture the lot ?

These sideways carbs were only fitted because there wasn't room under the tank for the upright carb.
Bit of a blunder in the design dept ?