Author Topic: Norton Laydown Gearbox  (Read 1869 times)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Norton Laydown Gearbox
« on: February 27, 2020, 01:44:55 AM »
The time has come to do some repairs to my ES2.Possibly should have been done years ago.....anyhoo,I need a new mainshaft ,clutch spider ,and maybe a 4th gear,if not too pricey......When I last fitted bushes and bearings to the box ,there was a supply of ex WW2 gearbox parts ,which I used in some areas.......the mainshaft and 4th gear are different lengths between the boxes ,so no go there...............Ive looked for new bits,no one seems to have them anymore.....new mainshafts were available ,no more it seems..............Any ideas?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Norton Laydown Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 11:47:57 AM »
Have you tried RGM and (as a last resort) Les Emery?

If you're a member of the NOC their forum is useful and there has been a recent thread about mainshaft lengths etc. And the NOC shop has lots of parts.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Norton Laydown Gearbox
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 11:58:37 PM »
Hello ,Ian....I had a cursory glance at the NOC spares....same stuff as when I was a member.....Id forgotten about RGM,they seem to be the only supplier,and are out of stock....still a few WW2 shafts about ,but wrong length ,from memory.....Might try more loctite and shims ,worked for a good many miles.....Although the wear on the clutch splines is so extreme,way more than normal ,I suspect the mainshaft is already a pattern part.