Author Topic: villiers C12 valve adjustment  (Read 4133 times)

Offline Mitzygolf

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
villiers C12 valve adjustment
« on: March 09, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »
Can someone please advise me how to measure the valve clearances. I can't see any access to the cam followers and don't see how I can physically measure anything. Thanks

Offline TGR90B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: villiers C12 valve adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 05:57:40 PM »
Villiers C12, are you sure?
I've just Googled it and stand corrected. You learn something every day.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 06:04:59 PM by TGR90B »
Getting grumpy, but not as grumpy as mini-me.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 11:00:16 PM »
The C12 is an industrial engine with no motorcycle content whatsoever so don't be surprised if you get blank looks from any motorcycle enthusiast when you ask about it. However, it is a bog standard sidevalve type engine so you will find the valve chest hidden underneath the side where the exhaust pipe and carburettor attach. I have no idea of what the tappet clearances should be.

I would suggest you might get a better response from the Old Lawnmower Club or some such forum where they actually use such engines.

Best of luck,

Offline Mitzygolf

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 11:06:30 PM »
Thanks. I Will follow your advice

Offline wristpin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 05:24:02 PM »
As per the advice, cover plate behind the carb. drop the piston 1/4" past tdc.and check both valves there. 6-10thou Points 12-15, plug 20

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 03:35:26 AM »
Actualy ,the Villiers industrial motors follow the old time JAP practice of having adjustment by shims under the tappet caps.......JAP motorbike engines used this idea too.......the really tiny ones ,use the method of stem grinding for clearance ,and to reduce clearance ,recut the seat  a bit,or reface the valve......The Ford V8s used this idea too ,up to the jailbar models.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 09:33:32 AM »
And the four cylinder E93A 1172 SV engines up to the late 1950s.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:36:38 AM by Rex »

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 05:13:44 AM »
I have one of the 120cc  Mk 12 engines on an old Finsbury all cast iron self priming pump......the motor runs a bit smokey ,but will run all day if fuel is kept up,and I used it for pumping oily water from a fuel and oil tank bund ......bit silly really ,you have to have a bund to stop oily water escaping,then after a storm ,pump it all out on the roadway to disperse as it may....Anyhoo ,i built the motor and pump from bits ,no money spent,and even tho the spark is so weak as to be invisible ,it starts straight away and runs perfectly......Incidentally ,for years Finsbury were agents for both Villiers and JAP engines of all kinds,and the Finsbury depot  in Brisbane had a Villiers twin two stroke from a car mounted as a display.