Author Topic: ANY ONE FAMILAR WITH THIS FRAME NUMBER  (Read 2807 times)

Offline beardyimpman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
ANY ONE FAMILAR WITH THIS FRAME NUMBER
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:11:50 PM »
latest purchase , frame no , XB31 5616, TELESCOPIC  FORKS AND SWINGING ARM REAR , THANKS  the telescopic front forks have oil drains at the  bottom of the  forks ,  this frame has me puzzled ,
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:44:39 PM by beardyimpman »

Offline DM

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile

Offline beardyimpman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: ANY ONE FAMILAR WITH THIS FRAME NUMBER
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »
the more i look at this bike i think someone must have converted  it from rigid to swinging arm , could it have been rex mc candless/ , state of the work is good ,   ANY  ONE ELSE WITH SUGGESTIONS

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 09:13:52 PM »
I’d suggest a clear photo would help.

Offline beardyimpman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 09:43:21 PM »
JUST AFTER TYPING IN REX MC CANDLESS IN THE COMPUTER , THERE IS A PICTURE OF ONE BEING SOLD  AT  AUCTION   SAME  FRAME AS I HAVE , I WAS LUCKY TO HAVE VISITED REX  ON A NUMBER OF  OCCASIONS,

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 01:14:33 AM »
Where ?

Rex wasn't the only frame man around of course, I've probably seen half a dozen frames of various types converted/changed to something else in the past decade or 2,
just from visiting folks garages. A bundle of tubes back into a serviceable frame before your very eyes !
And, someone local here who was trained on frame repairs by HD has a thriving frame and fork repair business, he can tackle just about anything.
The local club gave him a large HD multipurpose frame jig that was kicking around, since he could actually utilize it, amazing what a few tons force can pull back into line, for starters.

The trick of course is knowing what has been repaired/altered correctly, and what has been bodged up to look like it... !!!

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 01:58:06 AM »
I would expect a McCandless frame conversion to have sort of unique number identifying it as such. It would make commercial sense to do so. They would want to keep track of their own work and also make clear what wasn’t.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 02:54:17 AM »
Perhaps.

Someone in Melbourne has a 'Trood' plunger frame conversion to a rigid frame Model 18 Norton.
He only figured out what it was when found an advert advertising such conversions, with pics !
It looks factory done, but those are not factory bits it was done with.
Similar were done pre WW2 even ?
https://assets.shannons.com.au/NY9AAB2K5DYXBF1I/K7DB6WR1DS1A9CYF/j3d4gzyrtvw8jy05/jpg/2400x1800x3/vehicle/1946-norton-model-18.jpg