Author Topic: Swallow Sidecar Company / identify sidecar  (Read 3535 times)

Offline dafl

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Swallow Sidecar Company / identify sidecar
« on: April 23, 2020, 08:47:51 AM »
Dear all,

I'm looking for someone to help me indentifying our sidecar. We've got a 1937 Sunbeam Lion 500 with a sidecar from 1925.

I was researching this sidecar and wasn't able to find any information or an expert where we live. However I found this forum - it's my first time posting here.

When I was looking for pictures of sidecars of this period I only found the Swallow Sidecar Company which produced similar ones. I believe that the previous owner did some changes after the complete restoration.

Can anybody help me to indentify who produced this sidecar? I wasn't able to find any stamps or anything other than a stamped number on the frame.

I've attached some pictures during the restoration and current ones.

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Daniel

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Swallow Sidecar Company / identify sidecar
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:07:56 AM »
Sorry if you've already done the research and eliminated it but the 'before' pics look like a Noxal S11 from 1929 as shown on the Noxal brochure of that year. There is a pic of the chassis as well in the brochure
REgards, Mark

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 10:35:24 AM »
Looks great on the Sunbeam.

It could be Noxal, but that chassis looks pretty large for the sports body. I wonder if they started life together. If so, it might be a bit earlier than 1929?

Cheers

Leon

Offline dafl

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 04:56:31 PM »
Dear both,

Thank you for your quick replies! We've got the information from the previous owner of the sidecar that it was manufactured in 1925 - however I don't really have any paperwork to it which makes it extremely hard for me to identify. The sunbeam according to the registration papers and the copy of its original brochure is from 1937.

The Noxal is a great idea and I've now looked into it (only found the 1929 Brochure and a picture of one that was on sale) however I'm unsure because the sidecar in the brochure and also the one on sale have a flat panel on top where as ours has two panels which form the top (pointed top). However my knowledge is quite limited of this matter and I really appreciate your help and opinions!

Thank you both!

Best,
Daniel

Offline Mark M

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 05:12:31 PM »
Try this link:  https://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/noxal/   And a word of advice, always take the assertions of a previous owner with a pinch of salt!
REgards, Mark

Offline dafl

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 05:28:41 PM »
Thank you, Mark! Yes, this is exactly what I thought as well and why the research was quite hard for me. Thanks for the website, I'll check them side-by-side!

Best,
Daniel

Offline Vreagh

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 09:23:51 AM »
Didn't Watsonsians take over Swallows some years ago? Perhaps they still have records.