Author Topic: 3D printing parts for foundry casting in Wax  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Zurfrejoe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
3D printing parts for foundry casting in Wax
« on: March 14, 2021, 11:01:39 AM »
Hi there fellow Classic Bike people , I have been 3D printing for a while now and have come across this wax filament that can be 3d printed .And it works !!, first I printed the JAP head in PLA to prove the models sizes etc , shrinkage etc , then swapped over to wax filament  and here is is , in all its glory ! So off to the foundry and get it cast !! Anybody else got a part that needs casting and is no longer avaliable ? Broken cracked not able to use ? And without this part your bike is nort able to run ? Get back to me if you want , this is my hobby so no big buisness pressure . Hope to hear from you 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 11:04:04 AM by Zurfrejoe »
Rebuilding and remaking classic motorcycle parts

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3D printing parts for foundry casting in Wax
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 12:26:15 PM »
Could be very useful - where are you, and what sort of costs are we talking about?
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Zurfrejoe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 04:18:52 PM »
Hi Ian , Im in Germany ,Brit living here , cost what is the project ? The Wax I use costs €65 for 750 grams . 
Rebuilding and remaking classic motorcycle parts

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 10:40:50 PM »
Wow  !!

Even from there though, have you priced out what it would cost to get it cast ?
I've done some lost wax casting, and having the wax image is only the beginning.
Someone has to prep it for the 'plaster', and ensuring that all those fins cast with no gaps or bits missing is quite a task.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 11:41:48 AM »
I don't have anything specific at the moment but it could save a project some time. It does sound as though it would end up being very expensive though.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 12:47:34 AM »
I agree, 3D printing is the way of the future..... but not yet. Printing a wax pattern doesn't reduce anything in the whole patternmaking, casting and then machining process. You still have to find a foundry working with the metal you want. Plus they have to be willing to do your casting. You then end up with a raw casting that has to be machined and possibly heat treated during the process.

Having both had patterns made and made my own I can tell you it is only the start of an exhaustive process. I made a batch of a single type of Villiers inlet manifold. To make the pattern, have a batch cast plus make the various jigs and fixtures so I could then hold the castings to machine them time took the better part of two years of spare time. It's just too slow and time consuming to be practical.

Direct 3D printing in the desired material to provide a finished article near ready to fit with minimal fettling is the only way to go. It is here, but not yet at a price an ordinary individual can afford. I follow it very closely as it solves a myriad problems.

I highly admire Zurfrejoes programming skill in making his 3D wax replicas. We need people like him but I can't use him until he offers ready to use items at a price I can afford. I don't mean cheap. I mean a price an ordinary person can budget for.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 09:10:40 AM »
I suppose it will always come down to how much you need the part. A timing cover for Lawrence's last Brough would be worthwhile, a Tiger Cub cylinder head...not so much.