Author Topic: 1973 Bonneville exhaust headers  (Read 2764 times)

Offline ramwing7

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
1973 Bonneville exhaust headers
« on: July 06, 2022, 08:41:30 PM »
I'm putting together a 1973 Triumph T140V Bonneville OIF.

The header pipes seem to just stick into the head without any method of attachment, gaskets, etc.  The parts lists I've looked at don't show any gaskets, etc.

What keeps the pipes tight in the head and not leaking profusely?

Thanks.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1973 Bonneville exhaust headers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 10:31:02 PM »
What do those big finned devices on the pipes at the ports do ?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 10:01:13 AM »
If they're the same as other Triumphs I've worked on in the distant they're essentially decorative...... From (probably defective) memory the pipes are just held in the head by the various brackets - nothing at the head end at all.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 12:32:34 PM »
Ohh Ian - for shame Sir. The finned clip whilst not the best works fine enough if POs haven't bodged the thing to death, or mangled the flared end or the exhaust adapter. I would agree though it does not provide much support, it being primarily a sealing clamp. For sure, all fastenings for the rest of the system should therefore be tight (and present!) for that very purpose.   

Offline ramwing7

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 02:20:48 PM »
Good question R.  I've often wondered what those big, finned things do, since there's nothing inside the pipes for the clamps to squeeze down on.  Maybe they are heat radiators to cool the header pipes?

I still gotta think these things are gonna leak a lot. 

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 02:24:07 PM »
No shame in not knowing much about Meriden twins. Now if I didn't know about Norton singles I'd hang my head......

I still think they serve no useful purpose (the finned rings not Triumph twins). Althoug come to think about it.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 07:10:16 PM »
Crossed purposes here I think. The earlier finned clamps did indeed clamp down on the threaded-into-the-head stub, although weren't the later Meriden Triumphs exhausts push-in rather than push-over? That's from a memory of decades ago so may well be wrong.
Then there was the huge star-shaped exhaust rosettes as beloved by cafe racers and ch*pper builders(?) which merely clamped on the pipe to "allegedly" dissipate heat at the head.
What's wrong with Trumpets anyway? Good spares supply, easy starters, easy to work on and stylish.

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 03:54:32 PM »
Ramwing

I have a 66 T120 which has the threaded exhaust pipe adapter in the head - E5914 - that Rex possibly alludes to. Exhaust fits over that and the finned clip clamps down over it.  It seems the comparable US versions had no flared end at the head of the exhaust and no finned clip - so seems like a push fit inside the head. I think later Bonnies also adopted this push fit, though why you should have a finned clip if that were the case is indeed a little odd. I would agree that sealing may well be an issue. One for a specific forum perhaps? 

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 04:50:26 PM »
Ian

No shame in not knowing much about Meriden twins. Now if I didn't know about Norton singles I'd hang my head......

I still think they serve no useful purpose (the finned rings not Triumph twins). Althoug come to think about it.....

Nowt wrong with Triumph twins. Aesthetically pleasing, relatively simple to work on. Mine handles and goes down the road very well. Very temperamental, petulant and occasionally unforgiving, but still a blast to ride.   

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 05:26:34 PM »
Very temperamental?
Not in my experience. As used to be said, if a Triumph twin didn't start in two kicks get the spanners out..

This is for a standard bike of course. All bets are off if it's been fannied-around with by the local undiscovered Triumph tuning expert..

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2022, 03:23:33 AM »
To get back to the original question, it's dead simple. Look around other bike designs and you'll find push fit exhaust pipes are surprisingly common. They work well and require only fairly basic trade knowledge to fit.
I believe your Triumph had a crossover pipe close to the head as standard. If you then look at the exhaust system as a whole you'll see that if fitted as per factory with all the correct bracketry, the crossover pipe and Godwot it's just about impossible for the system to blow off. All you have to worry about is some possible leakage around the pipe up inside the exhaust port. It didn't leak when new but who knows what has been done to the beast in the 50 years since.
If there is some leakage this is easily addressed with a reasonably sized ball-pein hammer. One expands the pipe a whisker at the leakage point with the ball end of the hammer, usually just a few thou will do it and tries again. It gets easier with practice.
Nothing fancy is required, costs zero, just skill with a hammer.

Push in exhausts are effortless.

Cheers,

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2022, 07:14:46 AM »
Something I've used to good effect is exhaust 'cement' or paste.
This is a white paste, that dries rock hard.
(it may have once contained asbestos, but I think thats long gone).

I smear it lightly where pipes push together, or in the port.
Once all assembled and clamped etc, you then start the bike and the heat dries and hardens it.
This makes it near impossible to have exhaust leaks / pops / backfires.

And is not too difficult to remove next time.
Esp useful when pipes may be old and a bit knocked around and perhaps not seal perfectly - otherwise.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2022, 10:18:39 AM »
Ordinary bathroom silicone is even easier, cheaper and easier to remove when dismantling. If in direct contact with exhaust it will burn off but will seal push in pipes and silencer joints fine as well as tired asbestos / copper sealing rings. Velo & Norton experience rather than Triumph......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2022, 11:37:27 AM »
Yes, they’re the modern way but I was trying to make the point that with trade skills one doesn’t have to rely on keeping various goops and gunks in your workshop but just does it for free with a hammer with no future clean up issues.
Each to his own I suppose.

Cheers,

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2022, 04:28:03 PM »
As has been said here before those trade skills are often lacking, and most of us are probaly jacks (or jills) of all trades with the well known consequence....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves