Author Topic: Triumph crankcase engine stamping  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Epreon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Triumph crankcase engine stamping
« on: April 04, 2023, 06:56:06 PM »
A while ago, I bought a replacement engine for my classic Triumph motorbike from a reputable shop but there is no number on the engine crankcase.

I have been advised to obtain a Triumph engine stamp with which I could stamp the crankcase before adding the letters and numbers. I have not been able to find such a stamp on ebay or anywhere else and would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction to get a Triumph emblem stamp.

Secondly, if I cannot get a Triumph stamp, then I will have to stamp the crankcase with the appropriate letters and numbers without any under-stamping with the Triumph emblem.

My Haynes manual has a photograph of the engine number which has no under-stamping without any Triumph logo stamping whatsoever - this being a T120 engine number DU78964.

Does anyone know if there are many examples of classic Triumphs that  didn't have the logo stamped on the crankcase under the numbers and letters as in above Haynes manual? Was this the norm in other words to not have a Triumph logo under-stamp?

Thanks

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph crankcase engine stamping
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 10:15:59 AM »
I've seen a later unstamped Triumph crankcase and it still had the "Triumph" logo's stamped on it even though there was no number.
Stamping a number on seems like a minefield to me; someone will say that they're not the correct font, etc etc.
Who was it that advised you to stamp it?

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 02:21:44 AM »
A friend (now decd) made up the background stamps for both Triumph motorbikes and for Jaguar cars ..........all he used was a Deckel pantograph........very talented ..........however ,now with laser engraving ,making the stamps is easy ..........While you wont see them on ebay,there are stamps available from US makers for the unique fonts used on various things.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 10:28:15 AM »
I really don't think you should be trying to imitate the original stamping as (a) it could be considered fraudulent and (b) it's unlikely it would pass any but the most cursory inspection. You say it's a replacement engine so presumably you still have the original. If the crankcases are unusable then I suppose you could use the number from them and stamp your replacement - but not trying to emulate original. If they're OK then why not build the engine up using them?

The days of merrily stamping odd crankcases up are long gone and possibly a good thing too.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Epreon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 05:20:41 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys. In response:

Rex: The person who advised me about stamping the crankcase was a Triumph parts supplier. I have the original left hand crankcase which is a guide for me for the fonts.  I appreciate your help with this.

john.k:  Thanks for that, I didn't know anything about Deckel pantographs!

iansoady: Thank you for the reply. I have the original left hand one - the right hand one had a big hole blown in it and the replacement crankcase is slightly different so the numbered side couldn't be used.

My primary aim now is to get the bike on the road and the engine needs to have a 'stamp' (as in I assume in letters/numbers format) on it as a requirement to do so. The area that does not have any stampings (but should) doesn't look like it has been damaged or abraded at all.  So I am thinking of stamping numbers and letters only on it to get it on the road. A lot of the parts are made up from the old engine. I want to be able to ride it on the road and this conundrum is delaying my doing so.

Any further thoughts would be welcome.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 10:51:45 PM »
Another query would be where in the world are you? I can only speak for the UK, and as Ian says above restamping can be problematic for many reasons.
That said, if your bike already has a V5C registration document I don't think a number-less crankcase is a problem, but maybe moreso if you're hoping to get it registered.

Offline Epreon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 01:43:35 AM »
I am in the UK. Thanks for your help

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 03:19:01 AM »
generally,the cops will give you a new number to stamp on............I used to take trucks with replacement engine blocks up to the Main Roads HQ,and an old geezer would come out and stamp the block with inch high numbers and a 4 lb hammer ......obviously you wouldnt want him doing a Triumph like this