Author Topic: Velocette starting mystery  (Read 7408 times)

Offline lantrb

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Velocette starting mystery
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:44:48 AM »
Hello all,
     I have recently purchased a 1956 Velocette MAC .
When it starts, the bike runs just fine. But, I have to kick the engine over 25 to 30 times to get it going. The points and plugs are properly gapped. The battery is charged.
      Just what is the Velocette starting ritual?  My Matchles G3L starts on the first or second kick, regardless of how cold it is. I sure will be happy to hear your ideas on the best way to start my new bike.
Thanks,
Rich Lant
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 05:47:33 AM by lantrb »

Offline douglas

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Velocette starting mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
Hi Rich. I think you should go to the velo sight for that question! there are probably 3 trillion answers to that particular question! But anyway i figure it's mainly the kickstart ratchet pinion ratio which is half the problem. On most pommie bikes you can usually get a full revolution when kicking over, but with velo's not so much. Best to get a good runup by finding compression then pull your compression release in , then push through to the bottom of your kicker, release lever and bring the kicker back to the top and then go for it. Dont retard it too much and no throttle or very little( unless you've flooded it). there are a million reasons for it to be stubborn though, so just ignore every thing i said

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:22:20 PM »
Hi Rich,

I would certainly agree with Douglas.  I had all sort of issues starting my MAC until I was told about the kickstart ratio.  Follow Douglas's advice and I bet you'll be there.

Cheers

Nigel.

Offline douglas

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:41:06 AM »
Thanks Nigel, i expected to receive some flack from the velo boys, re- maggy's, jetting  etc.  douglas

Offline douglas

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 03:47:16 PM »
I mean "flak". Der!!!!