Author Topic: Triumph 5T Tank Badges.  (Read 4260 times)

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Triumph 5T Tank Badges.
« on: March 11, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
I have a Triumph 5T Speed Twin re-imported, reputedly, from Burma.
  It may be that appropriate parts are difficult to source over there, but whatever the reason it has acquired quite a lot of 'backyard engineering' (see 'Electronic Ignition? Help.), as well as a variety of earlier or later Triumph parts, not necessarily Speed Twin.
  The bike carries matching frame and engine numbers of 08275.  TOMCC. have dated the bike as 1957 and even quoted the export date as June 4th 1957.
  Mouth Organ type badges are currently fitted to the four gallon tank, but these are obviously the wrong ones as they have been re-drilled to match the mounting holes in the tank.
  I am aware that a variety of 'mouth organ' badges with different hole spacings have been used, but I rather suspect that the bike might have started life with the earler striped band.  It must certainly have been produced just before or after the changeover.
  Can anyone please tell me what kind of badge/trim I should be searching for, and even better, the part number(s)?
Thanks.
Jim Walker.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph 5T Tank Badges.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:58:47 PM »
I had a similar problem which turned out someone had fitted the wrong tank! Assuming you've got the correct tank (and judging by your ignition foibles I wouldn't put any weird alterations past the prevoius owner of your machine  ;) Have you sorted that out yet by the way?), your badges ought to be the mouth organ type F4127. The alternative F4766 were used on the bigger tanks from 1960 so if you've got those you'll know they're wrong.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:55:04 AM »
Thanks Henry,
The main reason I think it should have the striped band type decoration is that the holes in the tank are for very small screw threads and are 3 inches between centres measured with a caliper ignoring the tank curvature.  Also, the holes are spaced parallel to the ground - all the mouth organ badges I have seen seem to have larger diameter screws with one hole higher than the other.  Even if the holes were the right distance apart it would leave the badges at a strange angle.

With regard to your other question about the ignition.  I had to eat crow on that!  I will say no more, but refer you to the second page of the saga where all questions are answered.  It now has a DKX2A distributor.
Jim Walker.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:42:54 PM »
Yeah, both the mouth organ types have a pitch of 4.75 inch or thereabouts - later badges were similar too so you must have an earlier version. I know Triumph weren't unknown for pushing last years stock under the next years guise - the 1957 TR6C was effectively the 1956 model with the banded tank and old style badge just fited with a different exhaust and road tyres, so maybe your model got the same treatment.  I'm afraid I don't have one of these badges to measure the holes, although if anyone out there has a spare badge they could give me, (preferably with an early Thunderbird attached...  ;) )