Author Topic: Help to sell classic motorbike.  (Read 4596 times)

keithscarfe

Help to sell classic motorbike.
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:53:38 PM »
Hi.
I was wondering if anyone could help me.
My father passed away recently and he had a classic motorcycle. I therefore need to sell it. I don't know too much about motorcycles in general let alone classic ones. Could anyone suggest what this might be worth and where would be the best place to advertise it.
Thanks for any help.
Keith.

Details are as follows:

Velocette Viper.
350cc
Mileage: 27K
Tax: None (SORN’ed) 25 year Exempt
MOT: None
Colour: Black

This was my father’s cherished motorbike. I am selling this due to his death. I don’t know much about classic motorbikes or motorbikes in general, but here is a summary.

Very good condition. Chrome, paintwork and aluminium all very clean. Restored by previous owner. Purchased by my father in 2007 but never ridden by him. Dry stored.
Few spares (including panniers) and tools available.

Located in Milton Keynes.

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
Re: Help to sell classic motorbike.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:27:17 AM »
It's the classic motorcycle Show at Stafford during the weekend 26/27 April They have a Bonhams auction of Vintage and Classic bikes. I don't know if its too late for that but I am sure they will advise. Also Cheffins Auctions on 26 April at Sutton Nr Ely, Cambs.

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:06:06 PM »
What a fantastic machine! More's the pity you won't keep this little pearl for yourself; the Velo Vipers are one of my favourite bikes and really are a treat to ride.

Velocettes are highly desirable bikes no matter what the model (possibly excepting the LE sidevalve).  This bike in particular is one of the more sought-after varieties - Venoms, Thruxton-Venoms and, as in this case, the smaller Vipers are considered the best of the Velos by most enthusiasts.  1961 might be a bit early for most Velo-buyers tastes, but it will still command a premium, especially given the condition it's in.  
Anyway originality doesn't matter much to Velocette types; almost every Venom has become a clubman or Thruxton regardless of what year it was made or what it left the factory as *curse you velo people!*

For prices I suggest you get a copy of Classic Bike Guide because this magazine has tonnes of ads in each edition and if theres going to be a 1961 Viper you can use as a price comparison for yours, it'll be in CBG.  Please be very careful and take the time to do some research because there are plenty of people out there willing to fleece you for such a magic little bike, and it would be terrible for you to be short-changed for your father's legacy.

Sorry I can't be more help but I assume you're in England and the prices there vary considerably from here in Aus.  At any rate good luck and I hope you find an honest buyer who'll take care of it and not just chop-and-change it like so many velo owners readily do!

Regards,
Blue

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 06:45:44 PM »
I echo the above.
If you sell it for under £4000 quid you've been fleeced.
Providing it IS as good as it looks, of course.
RealClassic mag allows you to advertise for free, and they put those ads online too.
Google search should find them.
Best of luck...

keithscarfe

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:33:35 AM »
Good luck. Can't justify another bike at the moment but I'll watch with interest.