Author Topic: 1971 Triumph 500 cc  (Read 3979 times)

Bergie

1971 Triumph 500 cc
« on: October 31, 2005, 01:33:22 AM »
We have a 71 Triumph 500cc that has been stored for many years.  We are currently having it worked on so we can put it back on the road.

Do you have an opinion on how a 500 cc will handle a sidecar?  We've been told that it may struggle a bit, but we're not going to be riding at high speeds - just tooling around like the two old retirees that we are! 8)

If anyone has an opinion we'd sure appreciate some input!  Thanks!

Offline TBS

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1971 Triumph 500 cc
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:15:04 AM »
It should be fine, they even put sidecars on 200cc scooters!! Make sure you put on a sidecar gearing, gearbox sprocket probably 2 teeth less than for a solo.

Offline TBS

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1971 Triumph 500 cc
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 09:17:21 PM »
Hi Bergie,

The 500 is an engine that likes to rev, so don't worry too much. I raced one for quite a few years, and there is nothing really that comes to mind apart from regular maintenance, eg tappet settings and regular oil changes. By that I mean change the oil every 1500 miles, no longer. I use Silkolene Chatsworth 40, but if you are to use it in cold weather, then a straight 30. DO NOT use synthetic, they don't like it.
Glad you liked my website, currently in "The Classic Motorcycle" on the front page are 2 of my 1966 Bonnevilles, with a 7 page article inside, hope you like it,

All the best

Hugh

PS as you are re-building the engine I would fit a Morgo plunger oil pump as that is the main heart of the engine. I can't believe how many people use the old pump 35 years old or more !!!  Also I fit a Boyer MK 3 ignition (non digital) , fit and forget, however if you go down this route, change your coils to 6v, works better.