Author Topic: Identity parade  (Read 12821 times)

Offline Brillpaul

• Advanced Member
  • Whataboutya?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Identity parade
« on: August 24, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
Can anyone help in identifying any of the riders or machines from a race meeting  in the 1930's.
The link to the top photo and instructions follow:-

[url http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/lost_photos_individuals.htm]

Any help however slight would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Paul

Offline Martin_UK

• Advanced Member
  • Have Triumphs....and a very large toolkit...
    • View Profile
Re: Identity parade
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:20:48 PM »
Judging by the presence of BMW twins, DKW split singles and Nortons with the pre-war tele fork I would say this is 1939. Sorry can't tell faces from the photos.
Regards,
Martin

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:05:58 PM »
The pictures do look to be from 1939. Is there any chance of posting the photos individually as the detail is a bit difficult.

Bottom left with the Norton looks like Freddie Frith and he rode No. 17 in the 1939 Senior TT.

The figure in leathers behind Norton 51 could be Harold Daniell and I think that the man in front of the bike is Stanley Woods.

I can't find a list of entries on line but if it is the TT then a TT results book with entry numbers would probably let you place most of the riders.

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:36:38 AM »
The bloke sitting on BMW no.9 may be Georg Meier, the first foreigner riding a foreign bike to win the senior TT (in 1939 I believe), riding a supercharged BMW. There is an article in the current issue of Classic Bike (I think it is Classic Bike) on these pre-war supercharged racing BMW's.

Offline geoffus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
i think the pix is W  Rusk  the D K W could be Kluge in the first set of pictures  geoff

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:37:53 AM »
Brillpaul says:

Thahks for all the details supplied - very helpful. sorry for the delay but I had to replace my computer.
The attached photos may be clearer to view.
Thanks,
Paul

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »
second picture...

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:22:16 PM »
I'm sure that pic. 1 is Walter Rusk. He used a Velo in the 1939 'Junior'.

Paul, are you related to Walter Rusk ? I 'm aware that he died flying during the war. Do you know the circumstances ?

The DKWs were entered in the 'Junior' and the BMWs the 'Senior' so the pictures must relate to both races (or practice) but I can see no pictures of Walter on the V4 AJS that he rode to 12th in the 'Senior'

Offline Brillpaul

• Advanced Member
  • Whataboutya?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:06 PM »
Thanks for solving that puzzle RichP. I saw a photo of Walter in the 1939 Senior but it wasn't the No.50 in the photo. I believe it was on the AJS V4 he was first to lap a British Road Circuit at 100mph - the Ulster Grand Prix.
My father told me that Walter was his cousin. Walter became 966122 Aircraftman and trained at No7 Flying Training School, Peterborough. In 1940, aged 28,he and his instructor were on a training flight and Walter was killed in a crash at Tilton-on-the-Hill in Leicestershire.
Paul
Paul

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:39:46 PM »
Cheers Paul, that's very interesting - and thanks for sharing the pictures. Did they come to you through the family ?

If you're looking for more detail, I'm sure that the Vintage Motorcycle Club Librarian would be happy to look up entry numbers for you, either in period publications or subsequent books.

I don't know where you're based but assume you know that the Sammy Miller museum has a V4 Ajay ?

Just being nosey, do you know what he was flying at the time of his death ?

Offline Brillpaul

• Advanced Member
  • Whataboutya?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 07:05:41 PM »
I stmbled across the photos on the link in my first post - aparently found in an envelope from an auction.
The magazine Classic Motorcycling Legends NO14 had a good article which inclded a photo of Walter at Kate's on the AJS in the 1939 Senior on a No9 plate.
I believe Sammy has the bike in his museum. I would love to visit it sometime - I live at Greyabbey in Co.Down, N.Ireland so may nip across the pond sometime with my camera or maybe sammy would have some interesting photos!   ;D

Paul
Paul

Offline G1ULZ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
I stmbled across the photos on the link in my first post - aparently found in an envelope from an auction.
The magazine Classic Motorcycling Legends NO14 had a good article which inclded a photo of Walter at Kate's on the AJS in the 1939 Senior on a No9 plate.
I believe Sammy has the bike in his museum. I would love to visit it sometime - I live at Greyabbey in Co.Down, N.Ireland so may nip across the pond sometime with my camera or maybe sammy would have some interesting photos!   ;D

Paul

Hope  you  can  come  over  sometime  in  the  future  you  will  find  it  very  rewarding.  I  have  attached  a  picture  taken  by  me  at  New  Milton  of  a  speedway  bike  like  my  father  rode  in  1930.

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 07:39:16 PM »
I posted this page on the TT Website forums, which i occassionally go on.
http://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7347

Offline Brillpaul

• Advanced Member
  • Whataboutya?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 08:28:58 PM »
Nice one Goldie - thanks a bunch.Here's hoping for more results.
Paul :)
Paul

Offline Brillpaul

• Advanced Member
  • Whataboutya?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Cheers Paul, that's very interesting - and thanks for sharing the pictures. Did they come to you through the family ?

If you're looking for more detail, I'm sure that the Vintage Motorcycle Club Librarian would be happy to look up entry numbers for you, either in period publications or subsequent books.

I don't know where you're based but assume you know that the Sammy Miller museum has a V4 Ajay ?

Just being nosey, do you know what he was flying at the time of his death ?
PS Walter was fling a HAWKER HART SPECIAL.
Paul