Author Topic: Triumph T100T carburetotr  (Read 11416 times)

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
  • Suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph T100T carburetotr
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 03:01:07 PM »
Wiebe,
It could be that because your bike is not running right it may be vibrating thus causing the bracket to snap. Once you have checked the timing and got it running right you may find it runs a lot smoother and won't cause the problem. Tony B.

Offline wiebe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »
Thanks, all of you, I have another question; I got myself a strobe, I checked in the manual pg. GD4, ignition timing T100S two indication of timing Static timing: 14° and fully advanced 38° BTCD (before top dead centre)? But also advange range: contact breaker 12° and crankshaft 24°. I think I should use 14° and 38°? can some please reply. Also, what is the best petrol to be used high or standard octane?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »
I checked in the manual pg. GD4, ignition timing T100S two indication of timing Static timing:

You must disregard the timing information given in the workshop manual

As that information is for setting the points ignition, and the mechanical AA unit is no longer fitted, so the quoted workshop manual AA unit advance figures are no longer relevant.

The ONLY way to check the Boyer ignition accurately is to strobe check it at full advance with the engine running.

So use the strobe to check that the rotor timing mark moves towards the case pointer 38° BTDC mark as engine speed is increased, and adjust the Boyer back plate so that the rotor mark aligns with the case pointer at 5,000 RPM as the  electronic advance is slower than the mechanical AA unit and it will not reach full advance until about 5,000 RPM.   

Also, what is the best petrol to be used high or standard octane?

The standard Daytona compression ratio was 9:1, so reasonably high octane would be best.

According to the parts '73 list, both 7.5:1 and 7:1 low compression pistons were an option for the Daytona, so if yours has low-comp pistons then lower octane fuel should be fine.

If your strobe is a 12V type, normally it isn't recommended to connect it to the bike's own battery to do the test, as that can sometimes cause problems, try to use a different 12V power source if possible.

If your strobe is the type with an advance selector wheel or knob, then set it to zero.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:49:11 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline wiebe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 08:25:42 PM »
Thanks for your answer, my Triumph does not have a case pointer 38°, I need tool D2014. Can I make one myself?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »
my Triumph does not have a case pointer 38°, I need tool D2014. Can I make one myself?

I would have expected a '73 model to have the built-in pointer?

But you could make your own D2104 tool, or just put a paint mark on the case next to the rotor mark once you have carefully set the crank to the 38° BTDC slot position using your workshop manual instructions at section B31(B).
If you don't have the TDC tool, then you could use something like a small screwdriver to feel when the 38° BTDC slot is positioned exactly central below the timing hole.
L.A.B.

Offline wiebe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »
Thanks, you were right my T100R has a built in "pointer", but it was not as was shown in the handbook, so I did the work with the strobe, result, the original setting was too advanced. I made the needed modification, and the engine runs fine. I haven't tested full speed yet, the weather is not nice this weekend.