Author Topic: Triumph T100T carburetotr  (Read 11423 times)

Offline wiebe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Triumph T100T carburetotr
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:59:33 PM »
I have Triumph Daytona? T110T 1973 No. DH 31115, with only one carbu. can I modify my bike to a duo carbu. as it should have been?

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph T100T carburetotr
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »
Should be easy enough, it depends on what model you actually have. The T100T was discontinued in 1969 - does it have the actual model type stamped in the crank cases above the engine number?

You may just need to change the inlet manifold, or it may have had a different cylinder head fitted at some point. HN

Offline wiebe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:45:54 PM »
Thanks a lot Henry, I checked and the code stamped right above the serial no. DH3115? is "T100R". Is there a mono carburettor that will increase the power?
Kind regards
WZ

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
You probably won't find any appreciable gain in power by fitting a larger carburettor on its own.  You might get better service and economy from later carbs (amal mkIIs/del lortos/mikunis) but in order to get more power the cylinder head would have to be modified to suit.  This means opening and polishing the inlet ports; maybe adding an extended downdraught manifold; increasing valve sizes; and, to get optimum performance, changing the cam profiles and valve timing.

If you can get a twin-carb Tiger 100 head it should bolt straight on and you'll get a bit more go from it, but in my opinion the extra few mph was never worth the extra fuel consumption (one reason why I like the Trophys over Bonnies)

Offline wiebe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 04:35:09 PM »
Thanks for your reply, an other question, the top speed on my Triumph Daytona is appr. 110 km/h, is this normal, I read somewhere that the speed could go up to 160?
wz

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
  • Suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »
Hi,
The T100 bit was to suggest that the top speed is 100 mph/160 kph. That was obviously new and was a maximum but I would have thought that 110 kph was a little slow. Tony B

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »
110km/h (66MPH) is pretty slow for a completely stock bike in good (unworn) condition but enduro style high bars, big rear sprockets etc. can all reduce your top speed quite drastically. That asides, if the engine needs work or has been badly rebuilt then this is going to affect its performance too.

Your bike is dated April 1973, and should have a twin carb head, but like Blue says, the difference is pretty minimal.

Other than the top speed how does the bike go? Does it smoke rumble or rattle (alot)? Do the brakes bind or the clutch slip?

Offline wiebe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 07:18:03 AM »
Thanks Henri, cylinders and pistons are new, there is no blue smoke, not much rattle either. Sprockets are standard, and wheels turn freely, I also cleaned the carb. with ultra-sound.
Question, someone told me that my bike is not a Daytona, but a Tiger, is that the case?

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »
The short answer is: sort of.
Yes, the crankcase number T100R is a Daytona number so yes, you have a Daytona.  But it can also be called a Tiger because:

'Tiger' is a moniker that's been affiliated with Triumph since Edward Turner became the chief designer in the 1930s.  He revamped the single-cylinder range and dubbed them 'Tigers' followed by a number to suggest a top speed; e.g. 'Tiger 90' in the case of the 500cc to imply a 90mph capability.  The 'Tiger 100' (read: tiger-hundred) was the sports version of the 500cc Speed-Twin.
The name stuck with the 500 sports but wasn't really applied to the 650cc models which were simply the 6TA Thunderbird, T110, TR6 Trophy and T120 Bonneville.
'Daytona' Is a name Triumph gave to the twin-carb sports variant of the T100 released in 1967 (I think?) to capitalise on the success of their racing bikes on the Daytona Beach circuit, and this name stuck with twin-carb 500cc triumphs until the last (1973).
So you have a 'Tiger-hundred Daytona'

But hey, 'wots in a name,' eh?  
You should be getting better than 110 kph from the machine though, even with a single carburettor.  Has the ignition been timed correctly?

Offline wiebe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
Thanks, Blue for your clair answer. I installed a Boyer electronic ignation, but I don't know if the timing is correct, it does not give much kick back, when starting the engine. Is this normal? I have another question; the mufler attachment to the frame cracks all the time, I had it welded several times, shouldend  there be flexible screws?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
but I don't know if the timing is correct,

Didn't you check it with a strobe?

As there's no other way to set the ignition timing (set it to fully advanced @5,000 RPM) accurately otherwise.
L.A.B.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »
The short answer is: sort of.
Yes, the crankcase number T100R is a Daytona number so yes, you have a Daytona.  But it can also be called a Tiger because:

'Tiger' is a moniker that's been affiliated with Triumph since Edward Turner became the chief designer in the 1930s.  He revamped the single-cylinder range and dubbed them 'Tigers' followed by a number to suggest a top speed; e.g. 'Tiger 90' in the case of the 500cc to imply a 90mph capability.  The 'Tiger 100' (read: tiger-hundred) was the sports version of the 500cc Speed-Twin.
The name stuck with the 500 sports but wasn't really applied to the 650cc models which were simply the 6TA Thunderbird, T110, TR6 Trophy and T120 Bonneville.
'Daytona' Is a name Triumph gave to the twin-carb sports variant of the T100 released in 1967 (I think?) to capitalise on the success of their racing bikes on the Daytona Beach circuit, and this name stuck with twin-carb 500cc triumphs until the last (1973).
So you have a 'Tiger-hundred Daytona'

The 1973 factory parts book also refers to the T100R as a "DAYTONA (T100R)" on the cover, but as a "TIGER 100 (T100R)" on the Tech data. page.
L.A.B.

Offline wiebe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »
No, I don't have a strobe, but I will get me one. Could you give me some advice regarding the cracked mufflers?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 01:56:08 PM »
Could you give me some advice regarding the cracked mufflers?

The parts book shows a low-level twin exhaust system with a balance pipe between the down pipes, but there's no sign of any flexible mountings at all.
L.A.B.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »
If your exhaust mounts keep cracking it could be a slightly suspect aftermarket exhaust fitted (one that isn't quite the right shape which puts stress on the mountings, or just badly made - just an idea). With regards your top speed, I have heard of people using the wrong keyway for their cams, resulting in a drastic performance loss - again, just an idea.

Hope you get it sorted.  ;)