Author Topic: Converting 6 V. electric system to 12 Volts  (Read 5176 times)

Offline yjr32

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Converting 6 V. electric system to 12 Volts
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:15:21 AM »
I understand  a six volt electric system on a motor cycle can be converted to a  12 Volt system. How can this be done? what parts do I need?

Janardhana Rao.

Sorry my question is not clear and elaborate. I didn't mean replacing the 6 Volt system with a 12 V. system. My question is to find out if it is possible if the existing system can be made to boost up the voltage to 12 V. by installing some electronic box. I have a Sunbeam motor cycle in view.

Thanks,

Janardhana Rao.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:32:20 AM by yjr32 »

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Re: Converting 6 V. electric system to 12 Volts
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:13 PM »
Hi, You don't say whether your Sunbeam has a dynamo or alternator (which I doubt).  Either way, changing to 12volt is generally possible. A dynamo will need rewinding, but generally the wires of an alternator can be fed to a new regulator/rectifying unit designed to output 12 volts.  Dynamo systems would also need a new 12volt cutout/regulator.
  Of course all voltage sensitive units like ignition coil and bulbs will need to be changed to 12volt types.  Switches etc. should be OK and possibly the horn, also the ammeter if fitted.
  It seems that most people think changing to 12volts will magically double the power allowing much more powerful bulbs etc. to be used.  Unfortunately that is not usually the case unless a larger dynamo or alternator is fitted.
  If your concern is lighting, a much cheaper alternative is to fit light emitting diodes (LEDs) in place of bulbs wherever possible, which should enable you to uprate the headlamp bulb by several Watts.
My Speed Twin has been treated this way and with a 10Watt larger Halogen headlamp bulb which fits the original light unit and much increases the light output.

If you are interested in investigating this option all the LEDs and Halogen bulbs with standard caps are availabl from Paul Goff.
www.norbsa02.freeuk.com
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:54:37 PM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 08:07:07 AM »
Steer clear of Goff. >:(
There's better and cheaper on-line or on Ebay.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »
We can only speak as we find Rex.  I have had excellent help and service from Paul Goff. Items usually arrive by return post without even waiting for my cheque to clear.  I have never had anything faulty from him.  Unlike the first 6volt Halogen bulb bought elsewhere, which only lasted a few hours.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:28:16 PM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:55:20 AM »
Agreed, we can only speak as we find, but you may find (should the need arise) that Mr Goff's, errrr, after sales and complaints department is non-existent.

Put it this way, I'd pay double rather than use him again.

Offline yjr32

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:23:18 AM »
Thanks for the useful information furnished on my query reg 6V to 12 V conversions.

My response is as follows.

My Sunbeam has 100% original fittings including 6V dynamo with positive ground. All the parts are original including the dynamo, CVC etc. I use the machine occasionally to exhibit it in local Rally and for occasional outings. I want to preserve its originality and I am afraid the dynamo may get spoiled in regular use and hence my query. I know original replacements are difficult to get. I want to keep the dynamo aside safely and use it occasionally. I had a problem with the distributor cap and couldn’t get original replacement. I thought of a twin output coil also but preferred another Lucas car distributor cap by making little alterations and it is looking and working like original with out any problem but when one keenly observes, they know it is not original. The lighting is good enough for my purpose. I have an idea to fit a 12 V. alternator and with regulator for routine use and hence my query. I live in India and have fewer options. I have seen www.norbsa02.freeuk.com; the information is very useful and will make use of it when required. Thanks to Jim Walker.

I want suggestions to fit a 12V alternator and regulator in place of the original Lucas dynamo fitted on shaft driven Sunbeams. It should also look like original fitting.
Other electrical items I can take care of.

Janardhana Rao.