Author Topic: Mystery Bike  (Read 4090 times)

Offline andyw1260

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Mystery Bike
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Hello All

I have tried to identify my grandfathers world war 1 bike without success, I am not sure if it was a military bike but I suspect it was.  Can anybody give any clues about the make please.

Thanks for your time    Andy

Offline Bruce

• Advanced Member
  • I Ride my Big4 all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Bike
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »
Its a Douglas I think ,no doubt others will be able give you more info.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 09:00:45 PM »
Hi Andy,
Yes indeed it is a Douglas - a 2 3/4 h.p. (350cc) from around 1915. I say "around" because in wartime the specification probably got messed around a bit - if not in production then through repairs where there was a degree of "mix-and-match". Post 1914 features are the rear stand pivot on a lug below the rear axle (on the earlier bikes the pivot was on the chain stay in front to the axle) and the one-piece timing cover (earlier motors have a two-piece affair, with the upper cover stepped inboard a little). The front forks are the early pattern with the kink in the front bracing tubes. Around 1915-16 there were new forks with straight front tube, but the early type were apparently still used on some machines. The CAV magneto is unusual. Great photo!
Leon

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:24:01 PM »
Andy, that's a wonderfully detailed photograph.

BM is apparently a Bedford County Council series used from 1904 - 1920 so that doesn't help much !

I'd love to see the full photograph of your Grandfather in uniform. Have you traced his military career ?

Rich

Offline andyw1260

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »
Hello All
               Thanks for your expert comments and detailed information  on this bike.  I have no information of my grandfathers military history other than this photo.  His love for bikes passed down to my dad and myself who both had bikes by the age of 11. My grandfather died at the age of 38 so I never met him.  Sorry for the shaving of the photo but the full size is around 1.5m to big for posting.  Rich I would be pleased to send the full photo to you if you let me know your e mail, my email is  andyw1260@lycos.com   the quality is so good you can see he was a heavy smoker by the state of his teeth.

Thanks Again             Andy