Author Topic: Triumph TR6 dual seat  (Read 8543 times)

Offline joe90

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Triumph TR6 dual seat
« on: August 25, 2008, 10:33:40 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good place to get hold of a new or second hand dual seat for a 1970 TR6 (pre OIF).  Also, I would be grateful if anyone knows the correct part number, I have seen a number of different ones suggested.  I think it might be 82-9996, thanks

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph TR6 dual seat
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 10:54:33 PM »
According to the 1970 parts books, (UK & US) the seat was part F11573, or modern part number equivalent is 83-1573.

I suggest you try all the normal Triumph parts stockists, like Len Craig, TMS Nottingham, Hawkshaws, Tri-Cor, Britbits, Shropshire Classics - etc. etc.?  

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:58:04 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline TBS

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »
I use www.rk-leighton.co.uk excellent quality.

Offline joe90

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 08:39:40 PM »
Thanks chaps, I'll do some phoning around tomorrow.  I've got fed up with the one that's on the bike, after a long ride out on bank holiday decided enough.  It must be an old aftermarket one, it has a fibreglass base and won't sit properly on the frame.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »
Mind you get the correct hinges - I had a metal based replacement seat that didn't fit quite right and needed some tweaking of the bolt on hinge parts to get it to sit straight.

Offline joe90

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »
It's taken quite a while to get round to this (failed house sale in between) but just started to look at it again.  After a lot of telephone calls, I was told to forget part numbers and just specify the year.  I went for a cheap patten part in the end but was assured it is correct for my bike.  "fits all 1969 -70 T120s". It doesn't look too bad at all for a cheap one and even has the textured surface which I am told is correct.  ( P&P seats in Birmingham sound like one of the best - they have been around for 40years but unfortunately too expensive for me)

With the rubber bumpers fitted it sits really well on the frame, but 2 problems, it only fits without the battery and with the hinges on its way too high, the rubber bumpers are about 25mm off the frame at the back.  I am now thinking that the depth of the "dish" on the underside of the seat pan is not deep enough.  Some questions:-
1.  Am I correct in assuming that the rubber bumpers should sit on the frame?
2.  Did Triumph change the seat heights and if so, was this done with the seat shape or the hinges?
3.  Are there different length hinges available?
4.  Front and back hinges are different lengths which way round should they go?
5.  I am thinking of ordering new hinges, my book says 82-7862 and 82-8026, does anyone have the measurements for these, mine sit about 70mm and 80mm high, no point in buying new ones if I just end up with what I have already got.
6.  Are there different height rubber bumpers, for my hinges to work with my new seat the bumpers would have to be over 25mm thick - seems unlikely.

Added photo.  Would be interested in similar photo if anyone has one of underside of T120 seat 69-70.  Mine is TR6 but I am assuming same frame as T120.

Thanks  Joe

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
it only fits without the battery and with the hinges on its way too high, the rubber bumpers are about 25mm off the frame at the back.

Many modern batteries are taller than the original Lucas type, so care has to be taken with them that the seat base doesn't short the terminals when the seat is closed and the riders weight is placed on it.

1.  Am I correct in assuming that the rubber bumpers should sit on the frame?

Yes.

2.  Did Triumph change the seat heights and if so, was this done with the seat shape or the hinges?

Not during that period that I'm aware of but I will have a check through the parts books?

3.  Are there different length hinges available?

As far as I know, not for that period?

4.  Front and back hinges are different lengths which way round should they go?

The front hinge (80-8206) should be the longest.

5. my book says 82-7862 and 82-8026, does anyone have the measurements for these, mine sit about 70mm and 80mm high, no point in buying new ones if I just end up with what I have already got.

Looking at the brackets in your photo, and from your description, that appears to be what you've already got.

6.  Are there different height rubber bumpers, for my hinges to work with my new seat the bumpers would have to be over 25mm thick

Again, not that I know of. Sometimes it is necessary to 'finely adjust' (bend) the hinges in order to get the seat to fit as it should, but not to correct a gap of 25mm.
L.A.B.

Offline joe90

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 04:48:40 PM »
Thanks once again for your help LAB.  TMS also agree that only one pair seat hinges made for the period, but I ordered some anyway.  They did turn out to be slightly shorter than mine but not short enough to allow the seat to sit on the frame.  So I used the rear hinge for the front and re-made the front into a much smaller one for the rear.  After a great deal heating, bending, trial fitting and fine adjustment, it sits on the frame really well.  Also re-made the battery carrier to lower the battery (and now insulated the -ve terminal).  All painted and sorted now.  All I can think is the seat must be wrong and the dish in the base should be deeper to make the correct hinges work.  Photo shows how small I had to make the rear hinge.

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »
I use www.rk-leighton.co.uk excellent quality.

I have to agree.

One of my Goldies is fitted with a Leighton seat, and it is superb.

Offline TBS

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 08:03:13 PM »
Leighton's seats are about £140 now and usually fit straight on, sometimes need a small tweak, but I like them. Looked at cheaper seats but they are as hard as a brick!!