Author Topic: History of my Norton  (Read 4055 times)

Offline steven j

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
History of my Norton
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:35:42 AM »
With the assistance of YaBB members I have been able to establish the year of my Norton ES2 motor (1951 490cc) and frame(1956).  As I embark on this project it raises my curiosity as to its history and when these two might have come together.  Is it possible to trace motor and frame through some archive or data base of old Norton ESes.  My motor is F4 34410 and frame 4 - 67486.  I know the bike went for auction at Sothebys in Sydney on 7th August 1994 however that is all I have.  Any help appreciated

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: History of my Norton
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
Hello Steven, You're lucky because the Norton ledgers have survived and will show date of despatch and to which dealer or agent. At this period, engine and frame numbers would have matched. Details of gearbox and fork numbers should also be shown, together, certainly for 1950, with the original tester's name.

There is generally more information about bikes originally sold in the UK as the initial purchaser's name and address were filled in, presumably upon guarantee registration. There is less info on bikes shipped overseas as the local importers were responsible for warranties.

The original ledgers are with the Vintage Motor Cycle Club (VMCC) in Burton and they will normally provide what information they can free of charge (Annice in the library is very friendly to deal with). They have a good website. The Norton Owners Club have microfilm copies but only provide free to members.

I recommend membership of both  :)

Good Luck with your enquiries. Let us know how you get on.

Rich

Offline Bruce

• Advanced Member
  • I Ride my Big4 all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
Steve

My Norton Big 4 which is a 1951 model which I still use a lot has an Engine No F738588 and the 1951 frame has the same no good luck with your project
Bruce

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 05:56:26 PM »
F738588

Just to avoid any confusion that may arise from that number,

F =  1951.
7 = Code number for a "Big 4" model.
38588 being the actual serial number.
L.A.B.

Offline steven j

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:33:11 AM »
Thanks to all who have responded to date.  Rich I have taken up your suggestion and sent a request off to Annice at VMC.  Will keep you posted. Thanks Steven