Author Topic: 1952 triumph thunderbird painted rims  (Read 20255 times)

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
1952 triumph thunderbird painted rims
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:08:24 PM »
hi all,i am currently rebuilding the wheels on my 52 tbird project, i know the rims and hubs were painted for this year can anyone tell me if the the spokes should also be painted, ie the whole wheel painted polychromatic blue.cheers steve

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
Re: 1952 triumph thunderbird painted rims
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:19:51 PM »
All the early 50s Triumphs I've seen have had chrome rims with a coloured stripe in the middle and cadmium plated spokes (I think most manufacturers used this type of plating back then). Fully painted rims and spokes may have been an immediate post war, short term answer to chrome shortages (and miliatry bikes of course), but Triumphs were far too flashy to keep this permanently.

Anyway, have you ever tried to pinstripe a spoke?????  ;D

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »
henry i have a copy of harry woolridge thunderbird bible and for 1952 the whole rims were painted and also the handle bars the sprung hub wheel i am rebuilding also has the remains of the blue paint on the whole rim, spokes and hub just thought i would ask on the forum if anyone knows if the spokes should be painted as it dosen,t say in the book and yes i have sprayed spoked wheels in the past on vintage car wheels
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:52:02 PM by thunderbird »

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
Hi Steve, Like I said in the post, all the early 50s Triumphs I've seen have chrome rims with a stripe and bog standard plated spokes. Maybe I just haven't seen a 52 Thunderbird but I looked it up in my Roy Bacon resto guide and he says chrome with a stripe for all the road bikes in '52. I guess it's a case of who's advice to take. I'll have a trawl through the bottom drawer and see if I can find a contemporary picture. HN

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:25:12 PM »
thanks henry if you can find any more info that would be great,looking at the thunderbird bible in 1952 only due to a shortage of nickel the following parts were cadmium plated push rod tubes,rocker feed spindle nuts,exhaust pipe pin clips,kick start pedal,footchange lever,also states the wheel rims and handlebars were stove enamelled blue so makes a dull looking triumph really,but i would like to build it as close to original spec as i can so the main question really is would the spokes have been stove enamelled along with the hub and rim as was done on early vintage bikes and cars. i have looked on the web at a few pictures of a 52 tbird and they have the pin stripe to the wheels and chrome handlebars but maybe the owners  just wanted a brighter triumph.cheers steve :)

Offline neracarken

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:10:08 PM »
I know that there was a lot less chrome on bikes in 1952 because of the shortages of chrome/nickel. We had a 52 BSA Golden Flash and that had an all-black tank because of this, but it DID have chromed wheel rims with a black centreline - I've just checked a 1957 photo I have.

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:42:14 PM »
thanks neracarken,yes i also own an early 50s zb31 totally original and unrestored the rims are painted silver with the center of the rim spokes and hub stoved black there is no sign of any chrome under the silver i suspect this is the original finish due to the shortages of nickel at the time.cheers steve :)

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 09:53:01 PM »
ive just been trawling the web for 1952 tbird and chrome shortages and guess what came up http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Triumph%20Bikes/pages/Triumph-6T-52.htm thanks to vintagebike and nigels picture library the answer was here all along.cheers steve
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:38:27 PM by thunderbird »

Offline neracarken

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »
Just to confuse, here's a photo of my dad's 1952 Flash, and the photo was taken in 1957 at Polperro - I know coz I took it! The "rider" is now my SWMBO!

The rims were definitely chromed, not painted silver.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/neracar-ken/ORL674.jpg

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »
neracarken do you know if the flash is still about? i think there was probably variations from model to model and makes, to what parts were chromed that year dependent on the supply of nickel.nice to see the picture of the bsa and thanks for your interest.cheers steve :)

Offline neracarken

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 11:33:05 AM »
Sadly, it isn't! My dad part-exed it for a brand new 1958 s/a Flash in Plymouth - can't remember whether it was Pikes or Kings. He later found out that the new owner suffered a fire with it and it was completely burnt out! :'(

Here's the new model - bike, not girl! :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/neracar-ken/OCO790.jpg

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »
shame about the old flash neracarken,your farther was obviously a keen bsa man,  nice to see the old pics :)

Offline neracarken

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 07:37:25 PM »
Not just my dad - I had a 1957 B31, and a 1951 A7 and BSA sidecar, then made my own s/car and chassis c/w s/a wheel using old Poole Power Station boiler tube, new timber, and old alloy sheets from cars in a scrap yard! It was sprayed in a Jag metallic blue with a vacuum cleaner gun! Here it is on the day I sold it - £25!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/neracar-ken/Sidecar.jpg

If you want to see some unusual bikes we've had, look here. The Vincents weren't ours, though!

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/neracar-ken/

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 09:04:11 PM »
neracarken the sidecar looks a good job it looks right with the bike a great bit of recycling :)and a nice collection of bikes you have owned to you must have been keen on trials/scrambles

Offline 52t-bird

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »
Hello,Thought i would add my three penath (Thats the Welsh spelling) to your paintwork issue debate. Your rims are definately all blue due to the Korean war causing a nickle and consequent chrome shortage that year. The spokes according to the spec in the November 1951 Triumph sales brochure were heavy duty dull plated.I have looked at the bike picture you placed a link to and if you want close to original spec PLEASE dont use that bike as a yardstick!!!I would never set myself up as an expert as i advise restorers to do their own research using period photos not pics of badly restored ones, but rigid Triumphs are my thing and i have researched and owned over many in the last 30 odd years. I am happy to talk Triumph any time if you want to contact me.Regards David