Author Topic: Strange Bike II - What is it?!?  (Read 20152 times)

Offline br1737

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Bike II - What is it?!?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 09:55:05 AM »
Hi,

could anyone here get me in contact with Mr. Mario Zapata, the owner of this bike, please? Or does anyone know, in which country the bike is located?
I am seriously interested in this bike and i am willing to pay reasonable price.

I am looking forward to any positive reply, best regards,
Br1737

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:11:34 PM by br1737 »

Offline zappamotors

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 03:31:19 AM »
Hi folks, I've lost my password. So I'm Zappaclassis with another user name. Hi br1737. I'm from Brazil. I come from Garça - São Paulo. Regards.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 11:39:43 PM »
Love the friction drive generator!! Very innovative!

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32:10 AM »

Hi Mario,

Welcome back! Did you find any more information on the Puch? It is one of the most interesting "puzzles" I have come across!

Leon

Offline br1737

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 09:20:20 AM »
Hi Mario,

the friction generator is not original to the bike and was for sure fitted later. The bike originally head no lights or generator or was optionally fitted with acetylen light.

Mario, did you receive my private message? I am still interested in the bike.

br1737

Offline zappamotors

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »

Hi Mario,

Welcome back! Did you find any more information on the Puch? It is one of the most interesting "puzzles" I have come across!

Leon

Hi Leon, I apologise. I was travelling and only now I could read your message. The PUCH remains in the same situation.
Can you help me to identify this FN. Is this front girdraulic fork original? See pictures

Regards.

Mario Zapata

yebbut

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »
yes it is, its not strictly girdraulic though thats for Vincent only.

year 1946 or 1947

Just after this FN did another version of the forks with rubber suspension, and at the rear also.
I had one  once, over rough roads the most comfortable ride ever.

Sidevalve or over head  450cc,
A rare bike.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1054219889034406910tAiSra
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:53:59 PM by yebbut »

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 12:03:09 AM »
Yes this is a seriously weird setup! As yebbut has told us, the year is 1946-47 (although they would have all been called "1947 models" - FN called them "Series XIII", introduced in September 1946) and this one is the 250cc OHV. Guy de Becker's book on FN has a technical article about the front fork, which details why it is so superior to others in smoothing out the ride. If you look at it, it is basically a swinging arm pivotted out in front of the wheel.

Yebbut - it was smooth but did it steer? I'm not sure what killed off the design so quickly, but let's guess steering, or perhaps the consequences of shearing the bolts that held the massive cantilever to the steering head!

Leon

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 12:43:13 AM »
I'm not sure what killed off the design so quickly,

It looks like one large bump would seriously bend the whole lot upwards, so I'm guessing this somewhat undesirable outcome may limit further sales somewhat ? !!

yebbut

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »
You have to remember that FN built bikes not just for flat Flanders but for export to various colonial countries, they were pretty tough bikes with a good reputation.
Probably all those links wore out badly.

My 450 cc sidevalver  had the later rubber band suspension which is not as mickey mouse as it sounds,certainly it was very solidly built; combined with a large saddle it was very comfy indeed, a real floating sensation over the potholes.

Helical gear primary drive; Miller electrics on coil ignition; nice and oil tight on casting joints.

Drawbacks were the awkward kickstarter which used to catch your toes, and the clutch was a bugger to get into it needed a very hefty special tool.

I sold mine to Bill Little in the early 90's, needless to say I now wish I hadn't.

I went on a rally once with a Belgian guy riding one like the above, he had the biggest grin on his face as he bobbed up and down on it which is what made me look for one.
I still have some tank Transfers for it somewhere.