Author Topic: T100r crankshaft endfloat  (Read 15697 times)

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: T100r crankshaft endfloat
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 01:01:09 AM »
but something's wrong somewhere if the numbers indicate 1966 as that's over a year or more before the T100R came out...

It's a US model though, so it can be a 1966 T100R.

"USA Tiger 100 (T100R)" is listed in the September 1965 (so 1966 model year) Triumph Parts Catalogue No. 7 (From Eng. No. H40528)
L.A.B.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 10:11:42 AM »
Good point, I forgot the US got the R model before the UK.
So Duppy, is the petrol tank a three or four bolt mounting?

Offline Duppy Conqueror

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »
Good point, I forgot the US got the R model before the UK.
So Duppy, is the petrol tank a three or four bolt mounting?
four

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »
That ties in with a 1966 then.
Quite a rare bike, and well worth a good restoration.

Offline Marky

• Advanced Member
  • Time keeps on slipping....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 05:18:14 PM »
Well thats the best bit of news this week Rex,Cheers! I hope to ride the bike until I cant kick it so will do the resto as best I can to ensure 1 kick starts!

yebbut

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
For what its worth all this talk of bushes and line reaming is somewhat misleading.

What Triumph used was a steel bearing housing and the actual bearing itself was a thin wall bush inside it.
A bit  like a circular big end shell would be.

They never needed reaming when bought from TRIUMPH  and could be had in a limited number of oversizes to suit a reground shaft.

The confusion starts when rebuilders  believe that the out of centre brass lump with a hole in it is original Triumph design.

Its not.

The constant removing and refitting of this lump of brass is what has caused this problem.

Ideally they should be made from phosphor bronze to fit the shaft size and the crankcase.

How the average bloke  does this I have no idea.

The two bearing engines are much better

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
Yebbut Yebbut, he ain't got a two bearing engine, but he has got a bush main that needs remedial work, and then it'll need checking and/or reaming to ensure it's going to work properly from now on.

Triumph's intentions as regards main bearing replacement procedures fifty years ago don't really count for much in this case.. ;)

yebbut

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 01:24:28 PM »

main bearing replacement procedures fifty years ago don't really count for much in this case..

Sadly Rex I am only too aware of that which is why I won't work on Triumphs any more.

In fact considering the amount of botchery that has gone on over the years, and the appalling quality of most replacement spares being punted out to the unwary then and now, its amazing to me that there are any old Triumphs on the road at all :(

Why do spares suppliers keep on punting out those awful brass bushes? it can't be that more expensive to copy the original set up.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
Lots of pattern parts are crap, but then that seems to apply to any/every make of old bike and not just Triumphs.
However, whether you feel those mains are "awful" or not doesn't change the fact that that is all there is, and seem to work perfectly satisfactorily in the vast majority of cases (pun ::)).
Life (as they say) is as it is, and not always how we'd like it to be.
{I tend to get philosophical after working on Trumpets.. ;)}

Offline craignation

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 06:04:53 PM »
"Why do spares suppliers keep on punting out those awful brass bushes? it can't be that more expensive to copy the original set up"
it would be a misstake to put a brass bush here and terminal for the crank , this bush is ph/bronze and is quite OK ( on the 350 ) if oil is changed regular , my 1958 3ta has done many miles on this bush , i am very surprised to here they where still useing it in 66 on there T100r , but something new every day , by the way this bush ( as fitted origional ) has a blind spiral track machined in it to ensure oil gets to the full width of the bearing surface , i have seen some for sale with out this track and should not be fitted
more salad on me kebbabs and juggin to the pub , so why am i fat ?

Offline Duppy Conqueror

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
hi guys sorry no input for a while what with cold weather and such not much been done recently bottom half built  bar tightnin up a clutch center nut and main shaft one, cant do that till its back in the frame to use the back brake to lock it to tighten them. Will be puttin the pistons, cylinder and head on tomorrow I hope only worry I have there so far is the piston rings  no top stamped on the compression rings.