Author Topic: Battery charging.  (Read 13539 times)

wetdog

Re: Battery charging.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »
sounds like the trickle charger i have , mine has no amp metter fitted so i guess the battery could draw a max of 1 and half amps thro this unit and i would not know , no problems yet with this unit , the battery that went bang for me was on a larger unit with a amp meter fitted but i thought all was ok when the draw started to fall as you would expect as the battery charges . ive learnt my lesson and only charge out side with the larger unit as it will deliver 4amps (if battery demand is there) and has no way to variable regulate like some ive seen .

Offline BerrySpenser

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Battery charging.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:50:34 AM »
I was only charging one battery at the time, the battery that came with the Moto Guzzi Alce.  It was almost flat so I thought I would check it to see if was worth keeping.  After about an hour at 6 volts that happened. I can tell you it was a big bang.  I had all the windows open and a 4'6" door open as well.  There was no warning and it was luck that I was about as far as I could be from it but still got some acid on me.  I found the piece of battery in the garden 2 meters away.  Today I'm making a metal box with a vent to outside and all the charging will be done in that. 

What worries me is I have a small solar panel on the roof and three car batteries charging all the time.  I run some LED spot lights off them in the house.  I think I'll move them into a box in the garden too.  When I'm not using my bikes I put the bike batteries onto the solar system top keep them fresh.

Using solar technology is ideal way of charging...Yes it is bit expensive but best way of portable charging and I am using it for some time now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:50:36 PM by BerrySpenser »