Author Topic: 1920s Bike Needs Identifying....  (Read 5575 times)

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
1920s Bike Needs Identifying....
« on: December 24, 2007, 03:03:48 PM »
Can anyone help Alan Mack identify the bike in his family pictures.  He believes that it was registered between August 1923 and January 1924 in London and it has a Blackburn engine. Any advance on this??

Offline V.twin.14

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: 1920s Bike Needs Identifying....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 07:07:40 PM »
Seasons Greetings,
    What you have here is a 350 New Imperial of circa 1924. They were usually fitted with JAP engines, but I am sure i've come accross a Blackburne one in my travels. When a manufacturer used bought in engines he would often give the customer a choice, or for an extra fee would fit the engine specified by the customer. Hope that this of help. Best regards Vee twin 14

Offline Dirt_Track

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:42:22 AM »
G'day all
I am afraid I do not agree for one minute with the New Imperial identification.
Howard.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:04:04 PM »
I'd have to agree with Howard on this one.
There are too many other differences from New Imperial for it to be a re-engined New Imp.
New Imp didn't have that natty little half loop on the bike stand plus the New Imp top tube above the tank had a longer and more gradual downwards taper to the seat tube.
Also they had a very distinctively lined tank with New Imperial in largish print not script and the print ran right back nearly to the rear end of the cylinder. It is markedly different from what shows on this bike.
Finally, New Imp regularly mounted the hand oil pump either in the tank or on the L/H side of the tank. Not on the R/H side as shown here.
I can well understand a change of engine to customers specification but not all the other changes.
I agree its very similar to New Imp but then again, most of the bikes of the period made up from assembled proprietary components looked similar. That was the fashion.
Whatever it is, Alans family had good taste didn't they!
Cheers, Bob

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 05:30:59 AM »
A good plan might be to apply the magnifying glass to the original print of the third photo: the script on the tank looks like it could be readable.

I wonder if it might say Connaught?

Leon
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 06:02:57 AM by cardan »