Author Topic: New Girder Forks from India ?  (Read 48212 times)

Offline phil_h

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
New Girder Forks from India ?
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »
Anyone got any experience of them ?
The pictures look good, and there seems to be an increasing range available, but I'd like to know what the quality is like.
(I'd like to put a set of girders back onto a '35 velo that has a rear swinger conversion and some horrible lookign teles)

Offline enfield49

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Girder Forks from India ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:27:57 PM »
I have been warned off them suspect castings being the problem mentioned but  I will be forced to at least look at them when I find someone making the heavy weight Webb ones for my velo . Unless someone has a pair of the blades. Graham

yebbut

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »
Indian made girders have the reputation of being lethal.

Stick with the teles, at least you stay alive,

Your bike would look well daft with fake girders on a S/A rear, why destroy its history? far too much of this sort of stuff has been discarded for the sake of "originality"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:03:32 PM by yebbut »

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:12:17 PM »
ray daniels has webbs

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 11:40:19 PM »
'35 is rigid.

yebbut

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:29 AM »
'35 is rigid.

I know that, he knows that, but roger dont read the post ::) ;D ;D

(I'd like to put a set of girders back onto a '35 velo that has a rear swinger conversion and some horrible lookign teles)

Offline phil_h

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
Indian made teles have the reputation of being lethal.

Your bike would look well daft with fake girders on a S/A rear, why destroy its history? far too much of this sort of stuff has been discarded for the sake of "originality"

Thanks for that - I cant understand why they bother to  make them if they arnt good enough  ::)

Anyway - velos with swingers and girders are famous ... havnt you seen any KTTs ?
No prob with looks or handling.

Offline Matt

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Indian made teles have the reputation of being lethal.

Im lost, Indian teles have a reputation of being lethal? So how many Royal Enfields have been sold in the UK and does anyone know anyone that has had a front end failure? if you meant Indian Girders are lethal could you point me in the direction of some reports of failures please.

wetdog

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 02:35:06 PM »
the only problem ive heard is that some are not bushed , i have heard of none failing as of yet , and given the miles they are likly to do i doubt to many if any will give problems , i have not seen any in the flesh but look forward to seeing a pair , as for the teles they are better than the ones fitted to my bsa , ariel , triumph

Offline phil_h

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »
I was hoping to hear from someone or of someone who'd bought some indian-made GIRDERS.
If you remember what the quality of the old indian-made enfields was like or have seen some indian engineering or seen pictures of what indians actually ride around on, then you will understand my reticence.
Just because the latest indian enfields now have some quality control doesnt mean that all indian engineering has quality control.

And another thing ... if they were any good wouldnt more people be marketing them ?
I have seen no reports on them.
That doesnt make me feel comfortable.
</rant>

yebbut

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 04:21:14 PM »
  So how many Royal Enfields have been sold in the UK and does anyone know anyone that has had a front end failure? 

We are talking about repro girders not tele forks.

I understand the girder forks made in India are for Norton 16H and have earnt a bad reputation for failure as  believe they are made from castings rather than forgings.

Why do they bother to make them?

Because they think someone will buy them perhaps?

They don't care, just want to rake a few bob in as best they can

Some Indian made tin ware looks to be quite good, quality control is erratic and widely variable

wetdog

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
about a year ago a dealer in birmingham took delivery of 8 bsa a10 tanks from india , they looked good untill he tryed to fit one to a a10 , they turned out to be about 10% larger than a orgional one . unable to get his money back he sold them to a auto jumbler . Any one out there bought one ?
some of the items coming out of india are still hit and miss the head light shells are still poor after about 15 years of manufacture but are still selling

Offline phil_h

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 05:24:44 PM »
ray daniels has webbs
Who is Ray Daniels ?

wetdog

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 05:50:29 PM »
rebuilds girder forks in birmingham i will try and find his number , rebuilt / restored webbs are about £900 or thats what i payed last time , they are perfect and now on my KSS

Offline phil_h

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
rebuilds girder forks in birmingham i will try and find his number , rebuilt / restored webbs are about £900 or thats what i payed last time , they are perfect and now on my KSS
Thanks - found his email with a web search but he hasnt got anything in just now :(