Author Topic: BSA B31 for first classic bike?  (Read 33132 times)

Offline Conrad668s

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
BSA B31 for first classic bike?
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:33:35 AM »
Hi all,

After riding everything from 2 strokes to Yamaha R1's I feel it's time to get myself something with a soul.

My fast bike days are over and I want something I can enjoy owning, looking at, and plodding around on.

My heart is telling me BSA B31 as I just love the look of the bike in hardtail form. I've also got a really good BSA mechanic locally.

Anyone got any opinions either way - price, ownership, maintenance, riding etc.

I would occasionally like to take a pillion out - will it have enough power to pull 2 people around country roads?

Thanks in advance

Conrad

wetdog

Re: BSA B31 for first classic bike?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 02:13:45 PM »
B31 is a very slow bike solo , but two up  :( :(and ridgid , go for a swing arm b33 , if it must be ridgid the ariel is a better machine i think , or plunger , I really don't know what to do with this one
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:07:14 PM by wetdog »

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 07:50:03 PM »
If I where you I would go for the bigger A7 or A10 which would certainly be good for two up and can plod around country lanes but give a little bit more power for the main roads.

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
a7s and a10s might be a bit expensive ( more so ridgid a7) , and might take a bit more looking after than a single bsa , if you want to plod stick to singles ( side valve ariel bsa norton or ohv panther ) are the best ploders  that ive owned , there may be others .

Offline Conrad668s

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
The A10's I've looked at have been £5k+ for a decent model.

I'll be 2 up probably 30% of the time I'm out on it. The b31 seems good value for money, reliable'ish, and possibly a bike I won't lose money on?

Lets be fair - the styling is something else - it's a work of art - or is that just me?

Again, I'm no expert, that's why I'm asking.

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:49:33 PM »
the british ridgid singles are a work of art (girder or tele ) , but the b31 may not be the best . cluch ,chaincase , etc , V/P b21 is better but 250 , for looks and style any british singlr does it for me . so a good choice what ever you decide ...... you wont lose money if you look carfully at what you buy....  if it needs fetaling and cannot be rode .....walk away unless its a basket case
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:57:03 PM by wetdog »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 02:28:11 AM »
The B31 is fine and will do everything you want but if you buy a rigid frame version your pillion passenger won't like it. The pillion ride on any rigid frame is uncomfortable regardless of make.
All old British bikes require a little more regular maintenance and fettling than later machinery. Some say that is part of the charm, others don't like it. All have their little foibles but after 60 years they are well known as are the appropriate tweaks.
Generally speaking all early postwar British 350's were light and lively but as they were "improved" throughout the 50's they became more and more stodgy, overweight and sluggish. It is a delicate balance to buy one retaining the happy qualities of the early postwar period and is comfortable for your passenger.
The plunger frame B31 may suit both of you but I'd suggest you put passenger comfort high on the list if you want domestic harmony.

Cheers,

wetdog

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:12:36 AM »
"rigid frame version your pillion passenger won't like it" .................... forgot that one , if its your wife she"ll only go on it once , B31 two up might do 45mph ? 50 on a very long straight and only the rear brake is of any use , round town they can be a nighmare

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 03:03:50 AM »
Of course the drum brakes on any classic bike aren't as good as disc brakes on a modern bike. Disc brakes were introduced to improve braking performance and a good thing too but that doesn't mean drums are no good. They are just different and the rider has to change their riding habits to suit the abilities of the brakes in question just as they also have to change to suit the old fashioned engine characteristics. Isn't that one of the reasons riders go classic? Riding a classic requires much more thought and input from the rider to ride smoothly and well but the increased grin factor and riding satisfaction makes it all worth while. Isn't that why we do it?

It is also quite possible to get quite reasonable performance out of drum brakes including the B31 brake which to my mind is no different from anything else from the period. There are various little tweaks applicable to them all.

Finally, it doesn't matter that it's a B31 in question, 90% of us would disagree with whatever you had in mind. That is just normal motorcycle stuff. We all think we've got the right bike and anything else is wrong. Go ahead and buy your B31, mate. You'll have a lot of fun but in a few years you'll be looking around thinking "I wonder what a Velo, or an Ariel, or a Matchless (or whatever) would be like?" You'll be like the rest of us and just want to try them all.
Cheers,

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 08:18:38 AM »
and finish up with a bloody garage full lol
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

wetdog

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
you can change your riding habits all you like that will not stop the driver of the ABS micra in front slaming his brakes on , I have seen recently a triumph with a twin drum fitted , hed used both sides of a 7in full width iron triumph drum with two right hand lower legs , looked good , I like the ariel setup as you can bring the trailing edge into contact with out the need for beer can shims (often found ) some jumbelers are selling longer arms , this will not work but means the leaver hits the bars that much sooner when the brake fades , I think you may find two up riding a B31 a very exciting experience , that does not stop me riding mine but never two up ,  take some spare under ware with you .
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:29:33 PM by wetdog »

Offline Conrad668s

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 02:00:55 PM »
So upgraded front brake could be required then?

What upgrades are available and what would the cost be?

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 03:41:23 PM »
I fitted a twin leading shoe from a 69 Bonnie to my Norton ES2 front... it winds the "rivet counters" up but by the cringe it stops well and makes for more confident riding
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

wetdog

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
most round here are running jap front ends with discs (triumph f/ends have dryed up) twin leading shoe triumph hubs are nice (not comical I trust) but to expensive , a complete jap front end is the cheap way to go and you can change to tapper head bearings whilt there , the forks and brakes work very well but they do totally spoil a original machine I admit , moto cross front ends are cheap run a 21 front wheel and you can feed the stantion trou the top yock for ride height .

stuff like this on ebay all the time £150...........  Suzuki DR600 Complete Front End ideal supermoto or chopper Project BREAKING BIKE
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:47:29 PM by wetdog »

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 07:13:33 PM »
It seems to be a regular thing, people saying that the front brake on their British bike is not good enough. The fact is its as good as it needs to be if correctly set up and adjusted, it's not necessary to start modifying them.