Author Topic: anyone interested in old cars as well as bikes ?  (Read 66612 times)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: anyone interested in old cars as well as bikes ?
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2013, 08:22:34 AM »
Reminds me of that special built for racing in the 1970s  which was a chassis with a Mini engine and box at each end. Wonder what happens to the handling if both engine speeds aren't synchronised?

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »
is this where you have your conviction for the advantages of 3 wheelers from ? do you remember what it was called , was it a laural and hardey production

No it was not! It was a serious investigation into handling characteristics of road vehicles. Possibly by M.I.R.A. Who have a reputation of knowing about such things! :) Sorry, SCIENCE AGAIN - not an uninformed personal experience of a small selection of vehicles.
And I also know how to spell Laurel and Hardy!
Jim.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:32:25 AM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

wetdog

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
http://cll.qc.ca/Professeurs/Mecanique/ethierp/3-wheels/3w-clas.htm............... read this its in colour , maybe it will help , are you the reliant owners club secatery by any chance , don't tell me about old b/w films which confirm the science but don't remember the name of as its of no use , have you anything a bit more up to date or a three wheeler one at front which you own , know of , drove ? anything really to back up what your saying , well done on the English mind , mine is very poor I know

This 3-Wheeler component layout with a single front wheel can tip over easily in most applications and does not offer the best braking performance. It thus present little interest for general public usage. did anyone not know this already apart from 2ltr
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:54:30 PM by wetdog »

wetdog

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
sand rails (more to do with sailing) and a very nice tractor i once tryed to buy , american i think , looked great , both single f wheel

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2013, 10:18:31 PM »
Allis Chalmers!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:21:18 PM by Bomber »
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

wetdog

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2013, 10:32:25 PM »
no im sure this had a single front wheel and was much older , it was sold by bhonams , might still have the catolouge will look

wetdog

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »
found it "case" went for about £5000 in the mid 70s , i was going to about £1000 , dreaming

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2013, 11:49:44 PM »
I like old tractors... seems you do too!
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
No Wetdog! I am not in any way allied to any three wheeler club or car. BUT I WAS driving when three wheelers became popular and drove most of them. Science apart - I know how they handled. I also admit that the Morgan was one on its own for cornering. But do not regard it as typical because of the low centre of gravity concentrated near the front wheels. Even the occupants virtually scrape their backsides on the road!
I do accept that the best thing I ever did with a Reliant Robin was to sail it to raise thousands of pounds towards restoration of the Chesterfield Canal.
Curiously though, as a combination of comfort and handling the very early aluminium bodied 2 seater soft top Reliant was far and away the best three wheeler I ever drove.
The Morgan had the handling - but comfort?? Sit the occupants six inches higher and it would probably go ar** over tit on corners!
Jim

Musing:- Sand Yachts need stability. I wonder why they ALWAYS have two wheels at the rear??
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:01:46 AM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2013, 08:55:15 AM »
I have a 1938 Australian made Howard DH22 (rubber tyre model) with rotary hoe that I plan to restore in the near future.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »

Musing:- Sand Yachts need stability. I wonder why they ALWAYS have two wheels at the rear??

They don't need "stability" as such, but they do need the ability to "lean into" the wind when cornering and lifting the inner rear wheel. Two wheels at the front (apart from needing a more complex and weighty steering arrangement) would have the thing leaning backwards and also move the front wheel "track" a metre or so from the centre line of the mast when on two wheels.
Jim, I think you're letting the memory of that "aluminium bodied Reliant"'s  performance and handling colour your judgement.

wetdog

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
"Sand Yachts need stability"........ rubbish they will tip whist standing still ... they are to do with sailing and the pilots abuilty to tack ... one wheel at the front for ease of steering with your feet (would love a go) ............ did you say reliant convertible ? this sounds like one of the stupidest ideas ive ever heard , you can not talk three wheelers and exclude morgans because they got it the right way round (and they will tip) or state one wheel at the front is good so long as you never brake on a bend ??? some times round here I do and don't want to end up on the roof sliding into the oncoming traffic ( left hand bend) " BUT I WAS driving when three wheelers became popular ".............. you must be very very old ........ I think you mean cheap ...... I have had a few myself and admit a 2cv based Falcon (o dear) even this was a very stable car compared to my reliant ...... I do like old tractors and ended up with a fordson major I needed one to tow a boat onto the beach Abersoch north wales happy days did a lot of sailing , merlin , lazer , mirror (great little boat ) last one fire ball .
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:29:03 AM by wetdog »

wetdog

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2013, 01:18:30 PM »
this one did some miles most on sand or in the sea

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2013, 07:52:59 AM »
And an Aston Martin tractor! 

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »
They called them David Brown in Australia. Were a reasonable machine for light work in the hard soils. Lots used for haymaking.