Author Topic: Moto Guzzi Airone  (Read 17443 times)

Offline Steve Zodiak

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Moto Guzzi Airone
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:47:16 AM »
Just received a new exhaust pipe for my Airone from Agostini's in Mandello. The only part they didn't have for me was the seal that goes between the cylinder and the pipe. Can anyone tell my if this is an 'O' ring, or is it some kind of metallic gasket material?

Steve.

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Moto Guzzi Airone
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:26:35 AM »
Steve,
It will be a composite copper gasket.  Once upon a time copper and asbestos, but now copper and asbestos substitute.  A thing designed to crush to seal.  Measure the port flange size inside and outside diameters, then hawk about the bike shops.  Some japper will have an exhaust port of near enough the same size.

Cheers,
JFerg

Offline Steve Zodiak

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 05:49:53 AM »
Thanks JF -I'll go searching.

Offline Steve Zodiak

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 05:07:44 AM »
Well, I found an exhaust seal - it's actually a solid copper ring.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 01:21:06 AM »
Sometimes those solid copper rings are hollow and meant to be crushable to seal. If completely solid anneal it well before fitting. Standard copper annealing technique applies.
Cheers,

Offline Steve Zodiak

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice 33. I'll take a closer look at it when I'm ready to install it, which won't be for a while yet.

Offline Steve Zodiak

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 04:35:22 AM »
Does anyone know the size of the nut that goes on the exhuast flange where it meets the cylinder?  Also, is it supposed to be a brass nut?

Offline Steve Zodiak

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »
Ok -got the nuts and gasket issues solved. The new issue is this: I bought the header pipe for the bike from Agostini in Mandello. There's only one part number for it so I assume it's the only one for any Airone. When I fit it to the silencer and the bike the pipe went a long way into the silencer. Looking at photos and comparing them to my bike  I noticed that the mount on top of the silencer comes in three different places. Either it's left of the 'G' in the Guzzi stamping, or it's in the middle of 'Guzzi' or it's to the right of the 'I' which of course varies the length the header pipe goes. in. You can also see that the difference puts the fish tail in front of the rear axle,  covering the rear axle, or near the rear end of the bike. My question is; can I cut the pipe and not affect the performance of the bike? You can see too in the photo of mine that the bracket is not straight down like others.
Steve
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:12:56 PM by Steve Zodiak »

Offline Steve Zodiak

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »
Looks like I need to move the silencer a bit forward to straighten out the bracket position like this one...
But my header pip goes about 7" into the silencer.

Offline esometisse

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »
I wouldn`t expect the exhaust header length to be tuned for performance on this bike - but you never know! If the header pipe goes right in the seven inches without hitting or restricting something inside the silencer I would just leave it as is for the time being. Run in your bike properly first and if there is something to be desired performance-wise you can then think about experimenting with header length - although I doubt it would make too much of a difference.

Cheers
Andy

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »
I agree with Andy. Try it first and see how it goes, then cut if not happy. Can always weld it back on if not right.

Offline Steve Zodiak

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 02:20:47 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes once I receive the bike from the shippers (or should I say' pirates' as they always have some new hidden cost to add). Bike should be arriving sometime in November unless I don't pay the ransom for it. >:(

Offline adkmac

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
FYI For people reading these posts here there is a Guzzi list for the singles on Yahoo Groups. Guzzi-single@yahoogroups.com I think that is it but if anyone has a hard time finding it PM me.

Mac
Airone, moto Leggera, Cardellino, Lodola

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »
Good luck with that one, I have the Super Alce Pre Facone and it's a bit of a handful.  I still have fun riding it most weekends but it suffers from clutch issues.  The spring mechanism is hit-and-miss but when it works it's a lot of fun.  My exhaust washer/seal is off a Suzuki and it works OK. 

Just a note my exhaust is on the left.  That's better for my because all my problems seem to happen on the right hand side.  :-)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:44:21 PM by statik »

Offline Don-Spada

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »
There are different models of the Airone, in particular Sport and Turismo, and differing silencers- fishtails and cigar type.  Maybe things changed over time.