Author Topic: Mystery front wheel?  (Read 14346 times)

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mystery front wheel?
« on: August 02, 2013, 12:58:51 AM »
Any pre-war nut here able to identify this heavy spoked 7 inch hubbed front wheel with provision for speedo drive? Thinking It has to be a big british v-twin considering the spoke thickness and rim size. Some poor sod probably needs it. Douglas. 

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery front wheel?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:14:31 AM »
Never seen a front wheel with a rim lock on it before.  That's a bit serious.

JFerg

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »
the shape of the brake plate edge looks very BSA

Offline Kuutiopää

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
Hi,

It looks very much like a Harwil wheel, if you scratch some paint off, you may find text Harwil. However it may also be British Hub or a Webb, they all make wheels of that kind. Harwil were used in an Excelsior and Ok Supreme and many others.

Cheers,
Jami

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »
The 1/4 hole in the brake plate gutter is a drain, so if the wheel is out of girder forks why is it 1/2way up the back, assuming brake on the offside, brake lever on the right hand, simple cable run. It´s also very heavily built apart the usual wimpy wheel spindle so could it have been from some kind of leading link fork?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:36:50 PM »
I don't reckon that hole is a drain hole, because if it was it would put the anchor in a really strange position. More like there's no shoes on the plate and the brake arm is flapping around loose and been pictured too high up. That hole is probably the lower cable stop mounting, whether from the maker or someone's little mod, who knows?

wetdog

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »
lift the b/plate off and show a pic of inside hub and shoe arrangment , is the brake arm a 2 section riveted up unit
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:55:15 PM by wetdog »

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 01:47:27 AM »
If you click on the pic, photobucket comes up and then click the arrows which will take you to other shots of it.

wetdog

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 09:48:44 AM »
the way the hub is made up , riveted bearing house looks very much like a bsa hub i have here but the shoes are wider on the one here , so still not sure , my guess is bsa , having said that the ancour is very low , G13 maybe ?

bsa y13 , rocker boxes , carb manifold other odd parts , no heads , can go looking for pre unit triumph parts , very interested in SU carb , anyone interested
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:34:13 AM by wetdog »

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
Rex, I thought cable stop in the hole, trap the nut in the gutter, screw the cable end holder into the nut, if the wheel had been used in forks without a cable stop. Or if little leading links like harley or OEC?

wetdog

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 12:12:31 PM »
ive been looking at this wrong I thought the brake arm was on back to front and the cable stop/holder was the round thing with the slot in it , so cable ran down front of forks , the hole in the brake plate rim I have no idea what that's for .

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 11:10:21 AM »
I would say BSA based on the opposed pairs of brake drum spokes that make a  nearly straight line,this is fairly typical of thirties BSA wheels of all sizes.The threaded speedo drive mount is also there in the hub.The other catch is that any 7in brake plate  fits any 7in drum ,and the bits may not belong together.I often did this for swapmeet stock,in the days when old parts were hard to turn into cash.Five bucks for the wheel mate.Nah ,Ill give you fifty cents.How times have changed.Regards John.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 01:00:56 AM »
Tried a different BSA WM20 brakeplate but doesnt fit over the hub. This brakeplate belongs because it fits neatly over the stepped sleeve on axle. I'll try and find some closeup pictures of Y13 and G14 Beezas.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 01:32:17 AM »
Why not just show a shot of the brake shoes.
45 heads are better than one.... ?

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 07:28:12 AM »
As said just click on the picture for more photobucket shots.If I could get a decent picture of a V twin KX royal enfield front brake I might be able to narrow it down. I want to ebay it knowing what it is but would swap for a WM20 front wheel.