Author Topic: just purchased a rare vintage motocross bike,1967 Pannonia 250 Cross MC-67  (Read 13788 times)

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Not sure exactly about the ID, but I think its a 1967 Pannonia 250 Cross MC-67 ?? The 80 yr old man I bought it from did not know for sure, and his english was not clear..he was from Hungary. If anyone has any info I would love to know more.
One thing I can not figure out is all these models have a red frame, but this one has a black frame and looks to be original paint on frame..Here are some pics.
International Motocross Instructor

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
This pic did not post :( I willtry again.

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
here is left side.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
I've only ever seen one Pannonia. It was back in the early 1970s and a school mate was given it as a non-runner by some old boy in his road.
He never did get it going, and years later I read an article where they were dumped on the market by Pride and Clarke of London for ridiculously low prices.
I can see why...don't know how well put together your bike is, but his was typical Commie-Bloc era rubbish.
Maybe (like CZs) your comp bike is much better than the roadsters. I hope so for your sake... ;)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm not sure it's actually a comp machine, probably just a modified roadster.

As Rex says, some of the East European competition bikes were super - I really liked the ISDT MZs. I was offered one cheap in the 70s but turned it down as I didn't (and still don't) like the left foot kickstart.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email

I think it's rather nice - if not so much "ISDT" then more "enduro" than "trail". I'm not sue if they had any kind of reputation in off-road competition?

I have a 1956 Maico ISDT Replica, so I have a soft spot for this kind of thing. Good luck with it Kevin!

Leon

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
This bike is really amazing to me, it has advanced technology that the Japanese and USA bikes had no clue of at that time. It is amazing because they were racing these in motocross in Hungary and Czechs and all over Europe back in the 50's and 60's when in USA we didn't know what motocross was. So these engineers were ahead of us. This long stroke 2 stroke engine was faster and lighter than the 4 strokes, the bike has a removable sub frame like you find on modern bikes today, the seat comes off with 2 wing nuts, it has a real air box inside the frame, it has an up-pipe, tank comes off with 1 bolt, the purpose of the lights was so you could ride to the race track which was common in Europe in those days. This is also the bike that won the cherry creek Pro Motocross national in the USA back in 1966, or 67... I really love this Bike! I need to start restoring, and searching for parts. 

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Interesting bike, good luck with the restoration.
Cardan, I have 1981 Maico 250 enduro (bought new) too. Been a great bike and has always gotten me home from the bush.

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
My favorite bike I owned was a 1978 Maico 450 Magnum II (A Full Wheel Smith Built Factory race Bike). That was back in 1979. Wish I had it now, who would have ever known.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: just purchased a rare vintage motocross bike,1967 Pannonia 250 Cross MC-67
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 10:55:56 AM »

A bit of a Maico brotherhood... I quite fancy this little one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152402517445 but my main interest is in pre-WW1 bikes and I have excellent self control!

A friend of mine is currently rebuilding my Maico, so hopefully it will get some use soon. I'll need it when I'm old, but at the moment clutch, gears and brakes all seem a bit unnecessary.

Leon

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 07:21:43 AM »
Have some updated research on this Bike. It was designed by Jack White and made in Hungary by Pannonia at the Csepel Motor Works factory, then imported into the USA by White Motorcycle Company in 1965. My Bike is a " 1965 White 250 enduro " Only 10 were ever actually allowed to enter the USA due to the bike not being certified by the EPA laws here in the USA. I talked with an 82 year old Man about the White Motorcycle company history. Of the 10 allowed to come into USA 6 were 250cc motocross bikes, 2 were 250cc enduro's, and 2 were 125 enduro's. So my Bike is 1 of only 2 made.
The other one is owned by the Man that purchased all the remaining bike's when the White Company went of business.
From what I have learned White Company purchased 100 Bikes, but the USA government only allowed 10 into the country and the other 90 bikes were abandoned in storage for a few years and then destroyed.
And of the 10 that were here the White Company never sold all of them while they were in business. 
Found some original ads that show the bike when new.
br

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 07:25:54 AM »

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 07:36:33 AM »

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 08:37:34 AM »
And of the 10 that were here the White Company never sold all of them while they were in business. 

Not much of a claim to fame, but a really interesting story and a bike worth saving. Given the small number of machines, you're lucky to have a pretty complete machine to begin with. Enjoy.

Leon