Author Topic: just purchased a rare vintage motocross bike,1967 Pannonia 250 Cross MC-67  (Read 13792 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: just purchased a rare vintage motocross bike,1967 Pannonia 250 Cross MC-67
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 03:35:21 PM »
No one bought them here either; Pride and Clarke bought in  a batch and were trying to flog them off for years; I think I only ever saw one, and that had been chucked back in as a part exchange, primarily because only Prides would take them in as PX.

In the midst of the great motorcycling days of the 1960s,when British bikes were the envy of all,  Communist era Hungarian two strokes had no chance, and then at the end of the 60s came Honda..............Suzuki, and the rest.

As a lad I don't think "I've got a Pannonia" would have been one for attracting the girls, here it sounds a bit like an Italian snack.

Hey, you want Parmesan with that? ;D

As for fast  east european motocross bikes  probably the CZs would have pissed all over that Pannonia, rotten road bikes but the MX were really fast.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:39:44 PM by mini-me »

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 10:31:38 PM »
I can not seem to get a spark out of the pannonia...cleaned the ignition slator, coil wire, I removed the ignition switch so I have to jump the wires.
I had the flywheel off and noticed there is no chuck key on the crank shaft? not sure how to line it up? but it still should spark.

International Motocross Instructor

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 11:46:29 PM »
Ummmm.... :-X

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 02:00:47 AM »
Bring the piston to the top of the bore and turn the flywheel until the points just open, then tighten the flywheel nut. This should be close enough to get it running and you can tune it from there.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 07:11:40 AM »

Is it a flywheel magneto system, or does it require a battery to run? Maybe the flywheel system is for a generator, and the ignition circuit is really the battery (recharged by the generator), and a coil, timed by the points.

There are many different systems, but for an off-road bike of this age it might be reasonable to expect to find a flywheel magneto system with points? In that case is the points cam part of the flywheel? If so, timing is not too bad because there are two things that have to happen together: the magneto system has to be at its maximum flux point just as the points are opening, and the points have to open just at the right time - say 17-20 degrees before the piston reaches top dead centre.

I have to say that not having a key on a flywheel magneto is pretty strange. Usually the flywheel would be fixed to the crank shaft at a very specific angle (so that the the maximum flux point happens at said 17-20 degrees BTDC) then there would be some method of moving the points around to give fine adjustment of the timing.

If there is really no key way, then I'd guess the timing is set by moving the flywheel around on its taper. Or more likely it's just a generator, and the ignition circuit is battery point and coil.

Maybe photos would help.

Leon

Offline radiodjkevin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 09:28:09 AM »
No battery on this bike, fly wheel mag and points. I did set piston at tdc, and rotated backward about 2 inches (maybe around 17 degrees...the points are closed at tdc and begin to open right after that. I found 2 marks on the case above the flywheel about 2 inches apart from each other. I think the timing should be good enough, but no spark at all. I have 3 white wires coming out of the ignition slator, maybe I am not jumping them correctly? or I have a bad coil/ignition slator? maybe I can take some pics next time.
International Motocross Instructor

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 09:11:43 PM »

I think you'll need to get help from someone who knows what they're doing.

Leon

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »
Or even attempt to find some info, like a manual or service sheet?
It's all just poke and hope otherwise.

Offline Christian Arapu

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey amigo! I know you! you wrote under my youtube video about a couple of parts you are in need for this Pannonia! you still need them? I am waiting for your response!
hey ma bro Pooky! how a u duin!

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Not me Christian...if it's me you're talking to.
I don't have a Pannonia and never will have. The last Commie-Bloc stroker I had was an MZ many years back as everyone said how really good and well-made they were.
Trouble is everyone talks shite, and the crude POS was sold on in a month or so.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
 I would say its lucky you have points,so its not some early solid state ignition.Firstly,do you have magnetism in the flywheel? Should easily pull in a spanner or other bit of iron.If thats strong,I would suspect the capacitor.They dont last all that long.Get a new one from a car ignition set (old type car),the coil is easily tested with a small battery,once the capacitor is working.If the coil is cactus,you can still use the points for a battery/coil system to get it mobile.You can generally find a coil ,and other bits in lawnmower engines,the pole pieces will need to match the curvature of the flywheel closely.Test the timing with a light,just looking aint very reliable.30-40 ignition advance needed.The other reason twostrokes wont go is leaking/hard/cracked crankshaft seals.