Author Topic: 1930 Royal Enfield Model c with no lights or anything electrical, original?  (Read 16318 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Excellent. :)
not such a disaster after all,never be too proud to ask.

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Fuel trouble?
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »
Hi, I went to start this as the weekend and when tickling the carb no fuel came out of the hole in the top, which it normally does.. I took the top off the float chamber and it was about 2/3 full of fuel with the bowl floating. I pushed the bowl down, expecting the chamber to fill up, but it stayed the same level. So I took the bike for a spin, as it was sunny.. It started misfiring after a short distance. When I got back I checked the float again and there was no much fuel in there. I drained the tank and checked the tap filter, which looks okay. There was some muck in the fuel but not loads, though the last bit to drain out was cloudy...
But the carb is still the same, no fuel flooding when tickled. Am I missing something? Suppose I need to take the carb apart again. The main body of the carb is still dripping fuel, but it stops once the engine is started..
Regards
Gary

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Probably the tap. Take the connection off the carb (with tap off), attach some pipe exiting in a bowl etc and turn the tap on to check flow.

You do have petrol (and enough on the right side)  in the tank?
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
A few people said I should try it with the fuel cap off. So I did, and the bowl filled right up when I pushed the float down. The cap has a tiny air hole in it, which I can blow through but when I push the inner part up the resistance to my blowing increased a lot. Maybe I'm putting the cap on too tight or should I drill the tiny holes a bit bigger?

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
No, as long as its clear leave it alone,seems to me youu have a blockage in the fuel line somewhere,

start formthe tap oncemore and ensure all fuel ways are clear, especially those inside the carb.

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
I guess the hole could have been blocked but been cleared when I blew through it.. Taking it for a ride will confirm whether or not the problem has been sorted..

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
....And if you go for a ride and the engine conks again, and you loosen the cap and the engine restarts (ie the fuel can be seen to flow in the pipe) then you've sussed it!