Author Topic: 1930 Royal Enfield Model c with no lights or anything electrical, original?  (Read 16404 times)

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
This motorbike has had a full restoration fairly recently, but it has no lights on it and no electrical system at all. I'm trying to find out whether that was how it was from new or whether it's more likely that these parts were all removed during the restoration to save sourcing or repairing expensive parts?
Regards. Gary

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
In that era bikes were often sold without lights.

1930 you could still fit acetylene lamps if you wanted; horns would have been bulb horns, and like the lamps would not have come with the bike, nor a speedo.
This is the sidevalve? regarded as an economy model at that time.

You could have fun picking up lamps and mixing makes such as Miller or Lucas and no one can tell you different.
Lucas, Miller, Beta, Bosch P&H were just a few makes on offer, a well as from James Grose, Halfords, Pride and Clarke all sold their own stuff.

Won't be cheap, any of it. You do not need lamps on  a vintage bike, or you can always fit LED push bike stuff for safety.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email

There is a catalogue on the web http://motos-anglaises.com/ and all the 1930 RE models were offered with and without  lights. The Model C had no lights, the CL had a electric lights powered by a Maglita (by then made by Lucas I think). If you were too cheap to buy a Model CL, you'd probably fit acetylene lights.

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Yes, both cardan and mini-me are right. It's easy enough to get yourself an English home market copy of the 1930 catalogue which will list all the possible variations and what accessories the factory offered. You may be surprised to find what was considered an accessory back then and not a standard fitment. Not only lighting but also horn, mirrors, speedo, pillion and pillion footrests and more. Some of these things were required to make the bike road legal but they were still accessories as far as the manufacturer was concerned. The nonsense surrounding all these oddities are what gave rise to modern consumer law.
Cheers,

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Thanks, very interesting. I can get the link to the French brochure, can anyone point I the direction to see an English version for 1930..

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
What bits do you need translated?

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
What bits do you need translated?
Found the bit I was looking for "Royal Enfield Model C; As described above (without lighting devices)".  So wouldn't be wrong to leave it with no lights..
Thanks..

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Girder forks always look a bit "bare" with no lights fitted, I always think. :-\

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Both the VMCC Library and the National Motorcycle Museum have copies of 1930 Royal Enfield info for sale. You can not only get a copy of the 1930 home market catalogue but spare parts lists, drivers handbooks, etc. Copies of all are useful in getting to understand your bike. You've spent a fair bit of money buying your bike, it's sensible to spend a tiny bit more so you can use it to the best advantage.
Cheers,

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
WP_20170221_14_56_26_Pro by ghost.hut1, on Flickr

Here's a picture of the bike.. I have a 1929 copy of the parts booklet for this model and it shows the same brake and clutch levers as mine has, it doesn't show the reverse bar end type that I have seen on other bikes, so I can assume mine are correct. The twist throttle certainly isn't right, it should have a lever. There is no advance/retard lever as the bike has an updated magneto which does it all automatically..  The silencer on it is close to the original and looks good, but the original is slightly lower..
I'm going to see what other booklets I can get on it, and considering changing the throttle to a lever to make it look more authentic..
Gary

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: 1930 Royal Enfield Model c with no lights or anything electrical, original?
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 03:51:57 AM »

Do you know what model it is Gary? With the magneto drive on the off side it's clearly not a 1930 Model C.

All the models in the 1930 catalogue show inverted levers, but you'd do best to identify (and date) the bike before you decide what's what.

As a guide, BSA did away with inverted levers in 1930, and although you could still get a double lever for the throttle/air control an AMAL straight-pull twist grip was standard on most models. Repro versions of these are available, as are originals if you keep an eye out.

Cheers

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 07:11:28 AM »
Hi Gary,
To have a twist grip or not? The twist grip throttle was around in 1930 but the issue isn't so much the twist grip but how you use it with a hand gear change. A modern twist grip snaps shut when you let go of it and does not work well with a hand change. Having the throttle snap shut every time you go to change gear is a nonsense. Twist grips of the period either had a degree of friction built in or had an adjustable friction pad so they didn't snap shut if you didn't want them to. A lever throttle has friction built in and to my mind is the best of the lot for easy gear changing. It is also somewhat of a deterrent to others thinking they can blag a ride.

So, fit a period twist grip or a lever but don't use a modern one. 

Twist grips were at a funny stage in 1930. Binks sold a 'racing' twist grip which you would instantly recognise as an ordinary twist grip of today with the throttle cable curling around a drum in the grip as the rider opened up. This was thought to weaken the cable so it could break if used daily on a road bike. Amal favoured the straight pull twist grip where the inner cable was pulled in a straight line along the grip which riders thought better for the cable. Quickly riders found the straight pull version wore and developed slop reducing fine throttle control whereas the cable end in the Binks style didn't break and provided consistent throttle control. The Binks style is still used today.
Happy riding,

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »

Do you know what model it is Gary? With the magneto drive on the off side it's clearly not a 1930 Model C.

All the models in the 1930 catalogue show inverted levers, but you'd do best to identify (and date) the bike before you decide what's what.

Leon
Hi. As far as I know it is a model c, at least that's what the previous owners say, the bike was dated by the VMCC in 2012 so it could be registered as it had been off the road for many years. The registration says 1930, but it just says Royal Enfield 350. The magneto is not original. The sales brochures do show inverted levers, but, oddly the 1929 parts booklet I have, which is for the model c, only shows the brake levers like mine has. 
There's a 1930 FL30 on youtube that has the magneto where mine is, but on Hitchcocks site I see their 1930 picture of a model c also has the magneto like mine, yet another 1930 Model C I found on google images has the drive on the opposite side to mine.. I'm not knowledgable enough to know, but I do like it  :)
I think I will swap the throttle as it does drop the revs back to tickover as soon as you let go of it, though it ticks over nicely..
Gary
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:58:06 AM by casperboat »

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:14 AM »
That twistgrip does look as though it may have a friction adjuster behind the cable exit although the photo's not clear enough for me to be sure.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline casperboat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
That twistgrip does look as though it may have a friction adjuster behind the cable exit although the photo's not clear enough for me to be sure.
WP_20170222_10_17_32_Pro by ghost.hut1, on Flickr
Yes, I suppose that little nut and bolt could be one..